Morris-Williams Golf Course
The history of the five full-length municipal golf courses that make up Golf Austin Public Links spans a good portion of the history of the city itself. The story begins with the Hancock Golf Course, a short nine-holer founded in 1899 and named for former Austin mayor Lewis Hancock, Jr. The links-style Roy Kizer Golf Course, meanwhile, was named in honor of the longtime superintendent of the Lions Municipal Golf Course, which played host to the likes of Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson. In addition the Jimmy Clay Golf Course and the Morris Williams Golf Course, have been newly reopened after heavy renovations.
Taken together, the courses cover a wide range of styles—from the hilly 9 holes of Hancock to the 7,023-yard endurance test at Morris Williams. The Jimmy Clay features traditional tree-lined fairways, whereas the Kizer has a links-style layout with 22 acres of wetlands and 37 acres of lakes.