Museums bring history alive, like a skeleton found underneath your house. Dig up the past with this Groupon.
Choose from Three Options
- $6 for a museum tour for two ($10 value)
- $12 for a museum tour for four ($25 value)
- $14 for a museum tour for six ($30 value)
Avoca Museum & Historical Society
The Avoca Museum & Historical Society was once the site of the Revolutionary-era home of Colonel Charles Lynch and the centerpiece of a sprawling plantation. Today, it houses native artifacts and Civil War memorabilia curated to preserve local history.
- Size: 54 acres of land, including the sprawling Victorian house
- Eye Catcher: the main house, an American Queen Anne–style home built in 1901 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places; the interior has been lovingly restored to appear as it did in its heyday
- Permanent Exhibits: the replica of the 1880 cabin that originally stood on the site, including a rope bed and stone fireplace
- Don't Miss: the family graveyard—as well as a graveyard for the plantation's slaves—stand as a reminder of the land's history and provide some information about what African American life was like before the Civil War
- Pro Tip: the Avoca Museum is a popular wedding venue, so check the website's homepage or call ahead to make sure it's not closed for a private event