As the northerly clime settles in for a long winter, Nashville gets to frolic and gambol like satyrs in one of the top ten Best Public Gardens as voted by the readers of Southern Living. Today's deal scores you $4 admission to the Cheekwood Botanical Garden & Museum of Art, a $10 value.
The Cheekwood grounds contain 55 acres of various botanical gardens devoted to aromatic herbs, perennials, colors, water, Japanese forests, seasonal plants, and an award-winning wildflower garden. Each garden is dotted with fountains, an avant-garde statuary (although the 26-foot-tall Marge Simpson with laser eyes seems a bit gratuitous), and breathtaking backdrops of rolling Tennessee hills. As much an American art museum as a garden, you'll also get to peruse travelling exhibits such as the nostalgic Nashville Memoir: Photographs by Greg Miller, photographs of vibrant Latin American bus decoration in the courtyard gallery, or a video installation featuring explorations of Southern identity from six regional artists. If it rains, hails, or meteorites, you can always LARP a game of Clue inside the garden's 30,000-square-foot Georgian mansion, or rush wildly about its halls and staircases in a sheer white shift dress, silver candelabra in hand (BYO shift and silver candelabra). The events, art exhibits, and blooming plants are always changing, so it might behoove you to show up with another Groupon after a couple months.
- The grounds are spectacular, the art is fabulous and they have great programs for kids! – irlian, Fodors
- I absolutely love it here. I have been 3 times on vacation and would go again. The gardens are beautiful and varied, always well kept and the mansion is a nice break in the middle. – Casandra, Yahoo! Travel
I May Not Know Art, But I Know I’m on Fire
The abundant natural beauty and thoughtful contemporary art at Cheekwood demonstrate that the curators definitely know the difference between a legitimate aesthetic experience and hacky agitprop. Fortunately, we don’t. The following exhibits are currently on display at The Groupon Cafeteria Museum of Contemporary Mind-Blowing Statements About Society:
- Black and White Slow-Motion Film Loop of Girls in White Dresses Jump Roping Suggests Something Or Other About Innocence (8mm film)
- Dennis Has a Lot of Opinions About Modern Gender Roles/Let’s Listen To Dennis For a While (Installation)
- 1000 Paper Cranes Containing Desperate Pleas From Americans Kept in Secret Underwater Prisons (Paper, squid ink)
- Hella Butts (Oil paint on canvas)
- Perfectly Preserved Killer Whale Suspended In Blue-Raspberry Gelatin (Whale, gelatin, and whale-gelatin)
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
100% of 45 customers recommend
“This is one of my favorite places to bring visitors to Nashville...it's so beautiful!”
“Nice to be able to experience Cheekwood at a reduced rate - especially for someone living outside Nashville proper (30 miles). Please do another!”
1200 Forrest Park Dr
Nashville, Tennessee 37205Get Directions