Alaska Fishing Retreat - Alaska’s Kenai Peninsula
Four- or Seven-Night Fishing Retreat for One or Two from Discover Alaskan Adventures
Fishing Excursion for Supersize Halibut Off Alaskan Peninsula
In 2008, a fisherman off the coast of Norway hauled in a halibut that weighed 443 pounds and measured more than 8 feet long. Though something of an aberration, halibut are routinely caught at weights in excess of 100 pounds, helping them earn the title of world’s largest flat fish. Take a shot at the record books on a four- or seven-day halibut- and salmon-fishing adventure from Discover Alaskan Adventures, which leads trips into the waters near Alaska’s Kenai Peninsula. After loading up on fish and returning to shore, anglers will retire to Ninilchik’s Volcano View RV Resort and the surrounding area. There they’ll stay in deluxe cabins, which have full kitchens, TVs and barbecue grills. Click here for the 2013 charter schedule.
Each day of the adventure begins with an experienced guide leading groups of up to six on a 45- to 60-minute trip to the deeper parts of Central Cook Inlet, a hot spot for schools of halibut as they practice for synchronized-swimming competitions. The journey is made aboard a 28-foot six-pack cabin cruiser—aptly christened _Discover_—that includes a private bathroom. Once they’ve reached their destination, groups will fish for halibut and salmon with provided tackle, bait, and lures that can last a full tide cycle.
Though halibut fishing generally demands a full day’s time and energy, adventurous guests can spend the twilight hours fishing in local rivers. The town of Homer—a scenic hamlet situated about 40 miles south among the Kenai Mountains’ prehistoric glaciers—is worth a visit.
At the trip's conclusion, staffers will skillfully fillet all catches for no charge. Filleted halibut can be vacuum-packed, frozen, and shipped to any U.S. destination. Alternatively, the catch can be made airplane-ready, or be kept in a walk-in freezer until visitors can fashion a massive suitcase lined with dry ice.
Deluxe cabins that sleep up to six are located in the surrounding area and will be reserved by Discover Alaskan Adventures upon booking.
What You Get
Guided halibut- or salmon-fishing package
- Option 1: $690 for four nights of lodging in a cabin and three days of guided fishing for one (up to a $1,380 value)
- Option 2: $1,296 for four nights of lodging in a cabin and three days of guided fishing for two (up to a $2,596 value)
- Option 3: $995 for seven nights of lodging in a cabin and five days of guided fishing for one (up to a $1,990 value)
- Option 4: $1,995 for seven nights of lodging in a cabin and five days of guided fishing for two (up to a $3,990 value)
Book by: 5/15/13
Travel window: 4/30/13–9/5/13
Read the Fine Print for important info on travel dates and other restrictions.
What Makes This Getaway Great
We're confident in your Groupon experience and back it with the Groupon Promise. Learn more.
Groupon-Exclusive Discounts. We negotiate directly with hotels and tour operators to get you the deepest discount available -- as only Groupon can.
Handpicked Travel. Our travel experts and writers research every getaway for you.
Booking Guarantee. If the merchant is unable to book the stay you want during the available dates and before the book-by date, we'll refund your purchase.
More Great Deals See all
The Fine Print
- Must book by 5/15/2013 or promotional value expires
- Valid for travel 4/30/13-9/5/13
- Limit 2 per person
- May buy 2 additional as gifts
- Limit 2 per visit
- 45-day cancellation notice required or fee up to Groupon price applies
- Must be 18 or older to check in
- Credit card required at booking and check-in
- Valid only for deluxe cabins and fishing
- Fishing license required to fish
- Taxes, licenses, transportation, food, fish processing, and gratuities not included
- 3% borough tax not included, to be collected upon arrival.
- Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
- See the rules that apply to all deals.
- Rollaways: not available
- Smoking policy: no smoking inside the property
- Pet policy: pets are not allowed inside the property.
- Accessibility: handicap-accessible rooms are not available.
- Room upgrades: not available
The Groupon Guide to: Football Statistics
Football box scores only list the most popular football statistic—touchdowns—but there are actually millions of other statistics kept each game. Here are some lesser-known football stats that you should be familiar with if you ever want people to call you Professor Pigskinsworth:
- YAS: Yards After Smiling
- TOPA: Time of Playing Around
- INTTFG: Interceptions Thrown for Goofs
- ST: Soft Tackles
- QBRPN: Quarterback Rating Post Nap
- PBHF: Points Before High-Fiving
- PAHF: Points After High-Fiving
- PDHF: Points During High-Fiving
- PTCIC: Passes to Child in Crowd
- SRSSSCCY: Slow Runs So Someone Can Catch
- LRWSD: Longest Run While Silly Dancing
- OFHIU: On-Field Ham-It-Ups
- HUGS: Hugs
- TDS: Totally Dreamy Substitutions