South Pacific Islands with White-Sand Beaches and Geothermal Formations
The volcanic islands of New Zealand and Fiji are stranded more than 1,000 miles off the eastern Australian coast. The remoteness of the two islands meant they were some of last lands on earth to be discovered by hunter-gatherers from Asia, who found untouched sand beaches and mountainous interiors populated by exotic birds and mammals. On a 12-day, 9-night tour from Pacific Islands, you can experience this pristine landscape and then settle into modern accommodations in bustling city centers. The package includes 3 nights in Fiji, round-trip economy-class airfare from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), and midsize-sedan car rental for the duration of your 6-night stay in New Zealand. Click here for more information on the trip and available upgrade options.
Days 1–3: After flying across the International Date Line and under the International Limbo Pole, you’ll arrive at Auckland Airport (AKL) and pick up your rental car, an executive sedan. From here, you'll drive a half hour to the Copthorne Hotel Auckland City, set in the heart of New Zealand’s largest and most populous city. The hotel is just a short walk from boutique shopping along Queen Street and the Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tamaki, home to more than 15,000 pieces of modern and contemporary art, including works by Maori and other Pacific Islanders.
Days 4–5: On the way to Rotorua, stop off at the Waitomo Glowworm Caves, about a 2.5-hour drive south, where you can take a guided boat tour along underground rivers and caves that are illuminated by thousands of tiny glowworms for an additional fee not included in the Groupon. From here, it's a 90-mile (135 km) drive west to Rotorua. You’ll also have easy access to watersports at Lake Taupo.
Day 6: Once you return to the Copthorne Hotel in Auckland, you're free to explore the city at your leisure. Waitemata Harbor is a nice spot to go kayaking, sailing, and fishing.
Days 7–8: The tour’s next leg brings you 150 miles (250 km) north to Paihia, a coastal town on the Bay of Islands. You can kick back on an outdoor deck and at the Kingsgate Hotel Autolodge Paihia. To fully experience the natural beauty here, it's worth it to take a boat trip; a number of fishing and sailing charters navigate the craggy waters of the Bay of Islands.
Days 9–11: An early-morning departure delivers you to the Auckland Airport just in time to return rental cars and catch a flight to Nadi Airport (NAN) in Fiji. From here, you’ll transfer to the First Landing Beach Resort in Fiji It’s set near a white-sand beach amid palms and rain trees, and the beach faces west, so you can see marvelous sunsets.
Day 12: Your return flight to the United States departs from Nadi and lands in Los Angeles.
Read the Fine Print for important info on travel dates and other restrictions.
What You Get
$2,299 for a 12-day, 9-night New Zealand and Fiji tour including accommodations and airfare from Los Angeles (LAX). Travel with a Friend package (two Groupons required) or pay single supplement fee to travel solo. Read about different purchase options here.
Choose from the following departure dates:
- Sunday, March 31, 2013
- Sunday, April 7, 2013
- Tuesday, April 9, 2013
- Sunday, April 14, 2013
- Tuesday, April 16, 2013
- Sunday, April 21, 2013
- Tuesday, April 30, 2013
- Sunday, May 5, 2013
- Tuesday, May 7, 2013
- Sunday, May 12, 2013
- Tuesday, May 14, 2013
- Sunday, May 19, 2013
- Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Tuesday, May 28, 2013
- Sunday, June 2, 2013
Book by: 12/21/12
Single supplement fee: $660
Included in all options:
- International round-trip airfare from Los Angeles (LAX)
- Seven-day car rental in New Zealand, including parking
- Accommodations at Copthorne Hotel Auckland City (2 nights), Kingsgate Hotel Rotorua (2 nights) , Kingsgate Hotel Autolodge Paihia ( 2nights)
- 3 nights accommodation at the First Landing Beach Resort Fiji with daily Breakfast
- Airport Meet and Great and transfers in Fiji
- Treasure Island day trip
What Makes This Getaway Great
We're confident in your Groupon experience and back it with the Groupon Promise. Learn more.
Groupon-Exclusive Discounts. We negotiate directly with hotels and tour operators to get you the deepest discount available -- as only Groupon can.
Handpicked Travel. Our travel experts and writers research every getaway for you.
Booking Guarantee. If the merchant is unable to book the stay you want during the available dates and before the book-by date, we'll refund your purchase.
More Great Deals See all
The Fine Print
- Book by 12/21/12 or promo value expires
- Valid only for date purchased
- Limit 6/person +4 additional as gifts
- Limit 1/visit
- Redemption occurs upon booking with Merchant; no refunds will be processed by Groupon after redemption
- Merchant is responsible for customer refunds and cancellation fees once voucher is redeemed
- Refundable 46+ days from trip; non-refundable under 45 days
- Cc required at time of booking
- Valid only for option bought
- Reservation req'd, subject to availability
- Must be 18+ to check in
- Passport req'd
- $660 single supplement fee required for solo travelers
- At least one person must be able to drive and have a valid license.
- Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
- See the rules that apply to all deals.
- By plane: includes round-trip airfare via Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- Before international travel, always check the State Department's website for important info on the destination and its entry/exit requirements.
- The Waitomo Glowworm Caves are not wheelchair accessible.
The Groupon Guide to: Basketball Plays
Though it might seem like basketball players are just running around to maintain enough sweat to look beautiful on television, they are actually running complex offensive plays. Here are some simple plays that you can try out next time you hit the hardtop:
Dribble Drive: Each offensive player grabs a basketball and dribbles to the hoop. The one who dribbles fastest wins the points.
Pick and Roll: One of the players "picks" which teammate he believes will be the one to shoot the ball. If he is correct, the player that took the shot has to call a timeout so he can immediately get his reward—a "roll" filled with ham and creamed corn.
Backdoor Cut: This is considered the trickiest play in basketball because it requires the offensive team to distract the defense by having their coach put on a top hat, wander onto the court, and ask the defensive players if they'd like to see what his head looks like without a top hat. If the defensive players ignore the coach's distraction, the offensive players should blow on the defenders' eyes until the dryness becomes unbearable.