Hotel At a Glance: Adora Inn
Adora Inn is a fully-restored 1916 Arts and Crafts-style boutique bed and breakfast in the heart of Mt. Dora, FL's historic district. This comfortable and stylish inn mixes original artwork with thoughtful design, making it a modern place to stay within strolling distance of shopping and dining in this little town just a 30-minute drive from Orlando.
- Lavish breakfasts: include baked eggs Florentine, freshly baked scones, and asparagus frittata. Innkeepers Arthur and John are both chefs, and they can even whip up gluten-free options.
- Comfy accommodations: Each guest room features private bathrooms, some with claw-foot tubs, and a mixture of modern and antique furnishings
- Walk to the shops: and restaurants of Mt. Dora's historic district
- 30 minutes from Orlando: and all its theme park attractions
- Recent accolades: The hotel won a 2013 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence award.
- Included add-on: This deal includes a wine tasting at the nearby Merrill's Market & Wine Bar.
Mount Dora, Florida: Small Town Charm Close to Orlando
Once upon a time, the buildings in downtown Mount Dora were all painted pink. It was 1981, and the movie Honky Tonk Freeway was being filmed in this small town. About 30 minutes northwest of Orlando, Mount Dora has since repainted its buildings, but its movie-like small-town charm remains. These days, visitors come to stroll around the historic district and browse through its many antique and craft shops. Don't miss a chance to tour the Donnelly House, a gingerbread-style Victorian house built in 1893 by the first mayor of Mt. Dora. Another draw is Lake Dora, a popular spot for year-round boating and fishing.
If it's lights and action you want, you can drive south to Orlando and its plethora of theme parks, or check out the city's surprisingly accomplished food scene. A sometimes overlooked Orlando attraction is Gatorland. It's a fun place to spend the day, especially with kids, since you can ride down zip lines, see a rare albino alligator, and even go on a nighttime gator tour.