See China's Capital City, Ancient Xian, and Shanghai's Diverse Architecture
You'll spend 10 days exploring two of China's metropolises and the ancient city of Xian on this trip. Along the way, there will be guided tours that spotlight the modern architecture and historic landmarks of these places, spanning from the Ming Dynasty through Mao Zedong's rule. You'll have a little free time in each city and the opportunity to take optional side tours and see cultural shows, too.
We've included some highlights below; see the full itinerary here.
This tour includes:
- Round-trip airfare from IAH, LAX, JFK, or SFO on Air China
- Alternate departure dates/gateways may be available for an additional fee.
- China domestic airfares: Beijing–Xian, Xian–Shanghai
- Luxury standard hotel accommodations
- Daily breakfast
- Professional English speaking tour guide
- Fuel surcharge and tax
- Orientation tour in each city
Days 1–4: Beijing
The trip kicks off in Beijing, China's lively capital city. You'll have some leisure time before setting out on a city tour of some of Beijing's most iconic landmarks, including several sites from the 2008 Olympics.
- Tiananmen Square: Once the gateway to China's Imperial Palace, it's now a historical destination; Chairman Mao's remains are on display at the Mao Zedong Memorial Hall and there are artifacts from the Ming Dynasty at the National Museum of China.
- Optional tour to the Great Wall: One of the New Seven Wonders of the World, this massive defensive structure dating back to 200 B.C. stretches more than 5,000 miles across nine provinces.
- Accommodations: DoubleTree Hilton Beijing
Days 5–6: Xian
You'll take a brief flight to the ancient walled city of Xian, which boasts more than 3,000 years of history and was an important trading stop on the Silk Road.
- Drum and Bell Towers: During the Ming Dynasty, these two pagoda-style buildings were used as timekeepers; the sound of the bell meant dawn was approaching, and the massive drums were struck as dusk descended.
- Terra Cotta Warriors (tour optional; fees apply): This "army" of some 7,000 individual stone soldiers and chariots was carved from terra cotta more than 2,000 years ago, but wasn't unearthed until the mid 1970s.
- Sample traditional dumplings during an optional banquet-style dinner
- Accommodations: Grand Noble Xian
Days 7–10: Shanghai
The final leg of the tour brings you to bustling Shanghai, the “bright pearl” along the Yangtze River. An optional side trip explores the canals and gardens of nearby Suzhou (fees apply).
- The Shanghai Museum: this museum, designed to look like a bronze cooking vessel, houses an extensive collection of ancient jade and bronze artifacts, Buddhist sculptures, and thousands of early Chinese coins.
- City God Temple, which dates back to the 15th century, features ornate pavilions and teahouses. Outside, vendors hawk incense, jewelry, and candy.
- The Bund: Dozens of historical buildings in more than 50 architectural styles—including Baroque, Gothic, and Romanesque—line this area along the Huangpu River.
- Accommodations: Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel or similar
Frequently Asked Questions
How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal?
Alternate departure gateways available based on airline availability, surcharge may apply. Please call Affordable Asia Tours at 888-737-2742 to find out the exact price.
Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal?
Yes, you have the option to extend your trip.
How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available?
As long as the Groupon shows the particular date can be purchased, then it is available.
What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available?
After you purchase the Groupon, please redeem by making the reservation as soon as possible.
Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room?
The maximum number of people that can stay in one room is three total. One child can stay with two parents in the same room. Children will require Groupon in order to travel with parents. Discounts apply to children under 12 years old during the booking process. Please contact Affordable Asia Tours for details.