Property at a Glance: Bella Alpacas
Fluffy alpacas, pigs, sheep, and the family's own pig and pointer mill about just outside the farmhouse and cottages of this bed and breakfast. The working 50-acre farm counts dozens of animals among its residents. There's even an on-site store stocked with shawls, scarves, socks, and bedding made from their alpacas.
- Homemade breakfast of eggs, biscuits, and fresh fruit.
- Holistic therapies offered onsite, including Reiki and massages with essential oils
- Yoga classes are available.
- Rustic lodgings that may feature natural wood accents
- On-site store stocked with handmade alpaca sweaters, shawls, and scarves
New Milford, Connecticut: Historic Sites Near the Housatonic River
- Quaint Main Street: Downtown New MIlford has a classic look to it: An expansive village green runs down the middle of Main Street, which is lined with old-fashioned street lamps and historic red brick buildings that house art galleries, antiques shops, and mom-and-pop boutiques. In warmer months, live music and farmers' markets are held downtown.
- Old farms and wineries can be found throughout New MIlford's rolling countryside, which extends to the Housatonic River and Candlewood Lake. A 19th-century bridge spans the river at Lover's Leap State Park, which has more than 150 acres of rocky bluffs and wooded trails.
- For the history buff: The town's history is chronicled at New Milford Historical Society and Museum, complete with photographs, artifacts, and pottery; The Institute for American Indian Studies offers exhibits and events year round just outside of town; and the Abbey of Regina Laudis is worth the trip to New Bethlehem.