Hotel at a Glance: Archer's Mountain Inn
This inn’s two lodges are set amid the rolling green hillsides of Beech Mountain, an ideal location for mountain biking, hiking, or just taking in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountain scenery. The estate feels like a home away from home, which is fairly appropriate: it was once the residence of renowned college-football coach Paul Dietzel.
- Onsite dining: Jackalope’s View serves escargot and pan-seared crab cakes amid floor-to-ceiling mountain vistas.
- Stone fireplaces are in each room; Hawk’s View Lodge rooms have sitting areas and large porches with mountain views.
- Fish for trout at Grandfather Trout Farm, which provides complimentary bait, tackle, and rods.
- Mountain adventure: Carpeted in deep-green woodlands, the surrounding mountains make for scenic hikes with long-range, panoramic views.
Highlights of Banner Elk, North Carolina
- Scenic Highlands: Banner Elk is located in Pisgah National Forest in northwestern North Carolina. Meet up with outfitters for expeditions on horseback or mountain bike.
- Follow the Blue Ridge Parkway northeast for 15 miles and you'll reach the college town of Boone, home of Appalachian State University and several vintage clothing shops and bookshops.