Hotel at a Glance: Best Western Plus Grand Island Inn & Suites
This family-friendly Best Western puts you close to some of Grand Island's most beloved attractions, including Fonner Park, where you can play Keno or watch live thoroughbred racing. Near the end of May, families can start zipping down ten-story water slides at Island Oasis Water Park, roughly a mile from the hotel. The 3.5-star Best Western Plus Grand Island Inn & Suites also offers free shuttle service to and from Central Nebraska Regional Airport.
- Complimentary hot breakfast: Waffles and fresh fruits are among the tasty treats served up every morning.
- Grab a bite: The hotel is within walking distance of gourmet steakhouses and Mexican restaurants.
- Take a dip in the indoor heated pool, or kick back in the hot tub.
- Stay active in the fitness center, which is stocked with cardio and weight machines.
- Recent recognition: Received TripAdvisor's Certificate of Excellence in 2013.
Grand Island, Nebraska: Sandhill Cranes and Historic Railway
Just a few miles from Grand Island's town center, the Platte River winds past wind-swept shores, welcoming thousands of migrating sandhill cranes each spring in what's considered to be one of North America's most significant migrations—the event was listed inside 1,001 Places to See Before You Die. The river also hosts cranes, herons, and humans, who come to the river to catch catfish and trout. Fly fishing and kayaking are popular along the shore, and further inland, you can hike and bike the area's wooded trails and wide open prairies. You can see what life was like on the prairie at the Stuhr Museum, where costumed performers reenact pioneer life and exhibits spotlight antique farm machinery and 19th-century decor.
Grand Island's downtown got its start as a stop on the Union Pacific Railroad during the late 1800s. Today, freight trains still chug along the rails, and you might even been lucky enough to spot old-fashioned steam engines. Visitors can take a stroll along 3rd Street to browse antique shops, or catch a flick at Grand Theatre—a restored movie palace from the 1930s.
Grand Island, NE
2707 S Locust St
Grand Island, NE 68801