Top Reasons to Visit Chalet View Lodge
- The timber-framed lodge sits amid the Sierra Nevadas, adjacent to more than 1 million square feet of public forest.
- Each bilevel terrace suite is equipped with a river-rock fireplace and a flat-screen TV. Each forest-view classic king room features a spacious lofted bedroom brightened by skylights.
- At the Grille, the chef crafts spinach-and-cheese ravioli, blackened salmon, and other upscale American fare. The eatery is also known for its artisan pizzas, baked in a wood-burning oven.
- In the lobby, an onsite Starbucks shop features coffee and snacks.
- You can get pampered in a spa.
- Those visiting in the winter can rent snowshoes or cross-country skis to explore mountain trails. When you return, warm up in the outdoor hot tub.
Portola, California: Colorful Forests Northwest of Lake Tahoe
Portola is located in Plumas County, which lies amid northern California's Sierra Nevada mountains and is largely covered by the Plumas National Forest. With an abundance of dogwood, willow, and maple trees, the area's autumn foliage rivals that of the northeast United States. Follow this foliage guide to find the county's most colorful routes.
Naturally, the area's beauty lends itself to outdoor activities. Fishers visit here to find rainbow trout amid the county's 1,000 miles of streams, and birders walk through the forests in search of red crossbills and prairie falcons. In the winter, you can ski at the nearby Eureka Ski Bowl, which is known around the area for its 1860s-style long-board races held in January, February, and March. For more boating and skiing, drive about an hour southeast to Lake Tahoe, a picturesque body of water that straddles the California-Nevada state line.