Hotel at a Glance: Champions World Resort
Located just south of Orlando, Kissimmee is called “the gateway to Disney” by Fodor’s. Champions World Resort is in the heart of Kissimmee, so close to the parks that it has earned an official designation as a Walt Disney Good Neighbor® Hotel. This status gives guests benefits including the services of an onsite itinerary planner.
- Hitch a ride: Champions provides free scheduled transportation to Walt Disney World® Theme Parks, SeaWorld Orlando, and Universal Orlando Resort.
- Kid tested: The property features three swimming pools, a game room, a playground, and a sports practice field.
- Family-friendly dining: Champions Restaurant & Lounge serves classic pub fare such as wings, burgers, and mozzarella sticks. Kids younger than 10 eat breakfast here for free.
- Convenient in-room amenities: microwaves, refrigerators, and cable TVs
- Shop till you drop: The resort offers a free scheduled shuttle to the Lake Buena Vista Factory Stores, where you’ll find discounted prices on designers including Nike, Calvin Klein, and Nine West.
Kissimmee, Florida: Easy Access to World-Famous Theme Parks and Major Orlando Attractions
Located on the banks of Lake Tohopekaliga, Kissimmee sits about 22 miles from downtown Orlando and just 16 miles from the Walt Disney World® Theme Parks. The world’s most-visited entertainment resort, it spans roughly 30,000 acres, encompassing four theme parks, two water parks, five golf courses, and the Downtown Disney® Area. There’s no shortage of things to do here: begin your day by boarding a rocket-shaped three-seater that climbs to 180 feet before entering a deep black tunnel and racing past stars, satellites, and constellations. Walk across the park to sample Moroccan cuisine for lunch, or ride a dune buggy through a haunted 18th-century mansion. Before heading back to the hotel, take in the nightly fireworks, laser, and water show. As one of the most popular family destinations in the world, sunny Orlando is home to other theme parks including Universal Orlando Resort and SeaWorld Orlando.
Those hoping to shake up the typical theme-park-dominated itinerary can head into downtown Orlando's vibrant arts district. The neighborhood boasts venues such as the CityArts Factory, a multifaceted patchwork of gallery spaces, and SAK Comedy Lab, which holds improv shows five nights a week.
About a 10-minute drive north, you’ll find several cultural institutions surrounding Orlando Loch Haven Park, including the Orlando Museum of Art, with a collection featuring pieces by Georgia O’Keeffe, Robert Rauschenberg, Ansel Adams, and Andy Warhol. The park is also home to the Orlando Shakespeare Theater and the Orlando Science Center. Visit the Science Center to take a rover across a simulation of Mars’s red surface or race model cars down a 70-foot pinewood-derby track.