Top Reasons to Stay at Comfort Inn University Center
- This family-friendly inn is roughly a half-hour drive from Washington, DC. You can easily take a day trip there and visit the National Mall, home to such iconic landmarks as the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, and the Smithsonian Institution—the largest museum complex in the world.
- On weekdays, a complimentary shuttle ferries guests to the nearest Metro station and George Mason University's Patriot Center, as well as dining and shopping spots within 4 miles of the hotel.
- Guest rooms are decorated in rich gold and burgundy hues and feature satellite TV and free WiFi.
- Each morning, enjoy a complimentary breakfast spread of fresh eggs, fruit, and a make-your-own-waffle station. For dinner, head to Asian Delight, the onsite restaurant, which serves Asian-inspired entrees and cocktails.
- A hair salon, arcade room, and a well-equipped fitness center are all on the premises.
Fairfax, Virginia: College Town with 18th-Century Buildings near Washington, DC
The city of Fairfax sits in northeast Virginia's uppermost corner, across the Potomac from Washington, DC (it takes about 30 minutes to drive from one to the other). Fairfax provides a pleasant, subdued contrast to the big city. In fact, Forbes ranked Fairfax third among America's Top 25 Towns to Live Well. It's home to George Mason University and several historical buildings, especially in the Old Town district. Here, you can see the original Fairfax County Courthouse, which was built at the turn of the 18th century.
Today, many of these centuries-old structures have been repurposed to house museums and art galleries. Fairfax Station Railroad Museum occupies a depot that played a significant role in transporting medical supplies during the Civil War. At this kid-friendly museum, you can check out old railway lanterns, model trains, and old-fashioned cabooses. The Old Town Hall has been transformed into a gallery by the Fairfax Art League. Head to the Old Town Plaza and you can browse boutiques or dine on tapas at local wine bistros.