Hotel at a Glance: Courtyard Scranton Wilkes-Barre
Surrounded on all sides by Pennsylvania's rolling hills and cliffs, Courtyard Scranton Wilkes-Barre has modern furnishings and a fireplace in the lobby, along with updated rooms and an onsite bistro. The upscale hotel sits at the base of Montage Mountain, which features a ZipRider course and a water park that's open from Memorial Day through Labor Day. It's also just a 10-minute drive from downtown Scranton.
- Free shuttle takes you directly to and from Montage Mountain.
- Four miles from Montage Waterpark, which offers water slides, a wave pool, mini golf, and batting cages.
- The Bistro, the hotel's onsite restaurant, is open for breakfast and dinner, serving Starbucks coffee, classic cocktails, and craft beers alongside hearty sandwiches and salads.
- Spacious accommodations: Watch a show on a flat-screen LCD-TV in your guest rooms, which have modern tapestries on the wall and views of the surrounding forests.
- Work out by swimming laps in the indoor pool or lifting weights in the fitness center.
Scranton, Pennsylvania: Hiking Trails and Steam Trains in Town Best Known from The Office
Most people know Scranton as the home of fictional paper-goods company Dunder Mifflin from the popular TV show The Office, which brought fame to the mid-size Pennsylvania city in 2005. Now, nine years later, Scranton flies Dunder Mifflin flags outside of the mayor's office, and restaurants downtown advertise in windows with signs that say "Eat where The Office eats." The attention has helped bring visitors to the area, who discover there's more to Scranton than the opening credits of The Office suggest.
Close to major recreation area Montage Mountain and several state parks, Scranton attracts outdoor lovers year-round with its hiking, biking, and ski trails. The city was built on the foundations of railroads and iron; you can get a glimpse of its past at Steamtown, a national park dedicated to the era of the steam train. If you're looking for gaming action, head to Mohegan Sun at Pocono Downs casino, where you can play more than 2,000 slot machines and 84 table games, as well as bet on horseraces.