Hotel at a Glance: Excelsior Hotel
The Excelsior Hotel occupies some of New York City’s most expensive real estate, with a post overlooking Central Park on Manhattan’s Upper West Side. There are plenty of iconic landmarks nearby, including Lincoln Center and Columbia University. The hotel matches its swanky surroundings with a marble lobby lit by chandeliers and guest rooms that feature art-deco-inspired decor.
- Latin fusion cuisine such as braised pork shank with mushroom stew and cornmeal pudding can be had at the onsite Calle Ocho restaurant.
- In-room amenities: A 32-inch LCD TV and an iPod docking station
- Take a stroll through the 4-acre Shakespeare Garden in Central Park, home to plaques displaying excerpts of the Bard’s work.
- Nearby attractions: American Museum of Natural History and Hayden Planetarium
Highlights of Manhattan’s Upper West Side
- Prime location: Set between Central Park and the Hudson River, the Upper West Side is one of the toniest neighborhoods in New York City.
- You might recognize it: Brownstones and prewar buildings line streets seen in innumerable movies and TV shows, including Seinfeld and Sex and the City.
- Rich and famous: The Ansonia building has been called home by everybody from Babe Ruth to Angelina Jolie.
- Central Park: Carousels, bike paths, and manmade lakes fill the iconic, 843-acre park. Head west to Riverside Park for a quieter alternative.
- Nearby cultural landmarks: the American Museum of Natural History and Lincoln Center, home to the Metropolitan Opera and the New York Philharmonic