Hotel at a Glance: Forest Motel & Woodland Retreat
Set on the shores of a private, spring-fed lake, this quaint inn is surrounded by 32 wooded acres where you can hike along nature trails or go kayaking on clear water. Though the property feels secluded, it's only a few minutes' drive into downtown Stratford, where you'll find excellent restaurants and world-class theater.
- Hike the trails or borrow a complimentary bike to explore the property—keep an eye out for more than 60 different species of birds.
- Private lake: Head to Lake McCarthy to go fishing, swimming, and paddleboating.
- Complimentary continental breakfast served each morning near the lake
- Driving time to downtown Stratford: three minutes
- Suite package includes dinner for two, a bottle of wine, and a Stratford Chocolate Trail pass.
Stratford, Ontario: World-Class Theater and Chocolate Central
This town of about 30,000 residents has several claims to fame: Justin Bieber was raised here, it's the site of the famous Stratford Festival (formerly known as the Shakespeare Festival), and it's among the best places in North America to satisfy a chocolate craving. Skipping Justin, let's start with the theater festival—every year from April to October, some of the world's most talented actors, directors, and designers converge on Stratford to stage works by Shakespeare and other classic and contemporary playwrights, drawing thousands of theater lovers annually.
Another of the town's must-see attractions is the Stratford Chocolate Trail, a string of more than 20 chocolate and gourmet food shops and restaurants downtown. Take a guided tour to see how chocolate is made and, more important, try some samples.