Resort on Former Plantation Close to Historic District
“Caesar had his Brutus, Charles his Cromwell, and George III may profit by their examples." These fighting words were uttered by Patrick Henry over cries of “treason” as he denounced British tyranny during a Virginia assembly in 1765. Instead of being arrested, however, he went on to catalyze the American Revolution. You can still listen to Patrick Henry debate colonial rights today—sort of—at Williamsburg’s reconstructed brick capitol building. This Patrick Henry is an actor, of course, one of several appearing in daily historical reenactments in the historic district, where visitors can see sophisticated representations of daily life in the colony and in pre-colonial Native American tribes.
About 5 miles west you'll find Greensprings Vacation Resort on the grounds of a former plantation. It's a good home base for exploring the area’s historic attractions, but there's also plenty to do onsite. You can take advantage of floodlighted tennis courts and indoor and outdoor pools. Most guest rooms have their own electric fireplaces and private jetted tubs.
The resort sits right next door to the Williamsburg National Golf Club, which has a Jack Nicklaus–designed course hailed by Golf Digest as one of the 10 best courses you can play in Virginia.
Highlights of Williamsburg, Virginia
- Revolutionary history: American forces gathered here in 1781 to march to Yorktown for the final British defeat.
- Living museum where fifers march in Revolutionary War regalia and costumed actors portray everyday colonists
- Well-preserved architecture: 88 original 18th-century structures stand within the town, including the opulent Governor’s Palace, built in 1722 to house the British governor
- Historic specialty boutiques along Merchants Square sell everything from whimsical toys to hand-cooked Virginia peanuts.
- Original folk art is on display at several galleries and exhibits throughout the city.
“Spacious, family friendly accommodations in a convenient location.”
“loved the pool, loved the staff, as well as the living space. The master bath was my favorite space.”
“Condo was perfect accommodations for 3 adults and was close to the colonial area as well as outlet mall.”