Hotel at a Glance: Hilton Garden Inn Scottsdale Old Town
Fewer than 10 miles from Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport, you'll find Scottsdale's Old Town, a walkable neighborhood that calls to mind the Old West. Here, Hilton Garden Inn Scottsdale Old Town embraces the best of old and new, combining southwest-style tiled roofing and earth tones with HD televisions and complimentary WiFi access in every room. Thoughtful touches abound, such as in-room Keurig coffeemakers and ergonomic desk chairs.
- Soak in some rays on a chaise at the outdoor pool and whirlpool area, which features a colorful, tiled fountain.
- Finger foods: Snack on appetizers, entrees, and drinks at Jake's Restaurant & Bar, which offers a full menu, breakfast through dinner
- Explore Old Town and its antique stores, art galleries, and theaters.
- Golfing and shopping: Easy access to local golf courses and Scottsdale Fashion Square—a mall with more than 2 million square feet of retail space.
- Ride the Trolley Make a reservation with Desert Coach Transportation for easy navigation, or jump on the free trolley to downtown.
Scottsdale, Arizona: Stucco Mansions amid Rocky Desert Landscape
Located just northeast of Phoenix in the Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale once served as ranch land where farmers grew oranges and lemons and cowboys kicked up dust in the fierce, dry heat. That era earned Scottsdale the nickname of “The West's Most Western Town.” Today, it is an affluent city landscaped with lush green grass and lined with stucco mansions. For a glimpse of the city's Old West roots, head to Old Town Scottsdale, where wooden boardwalks and hitching posts sit in front of a retro ice-cream parlor and rustic specialty shops.
Upon arriving in Scottsdale, you know you're in the desert—cacti dot the landscape, and dry shrubs and gnarled trees cover the McDowell Mountains in the distance. To get a closer look at southwestern flora, head to the Desert Botanical Garden. There, themed trails wind past huge cacti and other moisture-hoarding succulents, best seen in the cooler early morning or twilight hours.