Hotel at a Glance: Holiday Inn Norwich
The newly renovated, family friendly Holiday Inn Norwich offers a free shuttle service to the Mohegan Sun casino just three miles down the road. The hotel is also only 10 miles from Foxwoods Resort and Casino and 20 minutes from Mystic Aquarium, as well as several beaches. Mohegan Sun, the U.S.'s second-largest casino, encompasses 364,000 square feet of gaming space, including 7,000 slot machines and a 40-table poker room.
- In-room amenities: Newly designed guest rooms feature pillow-top mattresses, microwaves and refrigerators, and 32-inch cable TVs
- Breakfast options: at Rendezvous restaurant include granola yogurt parfait and low-carb omelets; there are also sugary classics such as blueberry pancakes and cinnamon French toast
- Upcoming performances at nearby Mohegan Sun Arena: Keith Urban (Nov. 15), Kenny Rogers (Dec. 6), and Jay Z (Jan. 17)
- Catch the game at Scorzz Sports Bar And Grill, an onsite lunch and dinner spot open at 11 a.m. with pool tables and Friday karaoke, as well as beer, jumbo wings, and 13 HDTV’s
- Family friendly attractions: Mystic Aquarium, located 20 miles from the hotel, is home to beluga whales, California sea lions, and piranhas
- Work up a sweat: at the hotel’s fitness center, then cool off at the indoor pool
Norwich, Connecticut: Historic Town with Casinos Nearby
From the Norwich, Connecticut, you're within a short drive of several nearby cultural attractions, shopping centers, and casinos. In addition to the Mohegan Sun casino, the Foxwoods Resort & Casino provides plenty of gaming opportunities, from slots to table games to bingo.
Norwich's position on Connecticut's Thames River created a rich habitat for the Native Americans who made their home here. Settlers arrived in clipper boats in 1658, using the passageway for shipping goods to England. During the American Revolution, George Washington sought provisions for the army in Norwich—as did hometown boy Benedict Arnold.