Hotel at a Glance: Hotel 43
Intersected by the 43rd parallel in America's 43rd state, the aptly named Hotel 43 lies in the heart of downtown Boise, across the street from the Boise Centre. The boutique hotel is also close to the city's best shopping and a short drive from skiing at Bogus Basin.
- Chandlers Steakhouse and Martini Bar: prime steaks, award-winning seafood, and live jazz
- Metro Café: espresso, fresh-baked pastries, and hot breakfast items
- In-room amenities: Chicly decorated guest rooms have 32-inch LCD TVs, Serta EuroTop mattresses, and free WiFi.
- Complimentary airport shuttle to and from BOI
- Arts Passport: free admission to Boise Art Museum and discounted admission to the Boise Philharmonic, Opera Idaho, and more
Boise, Idaho: Capital City with Basque Heritage near Ski Resorts
The biggest town between Salt Lake City and Portland, Boise doesn't always receive the same attention that other western cities get. But the City of Trees has more going for it than many realize. An inviting downtown features high-rises and a pedestrian zone on 8th Street that hums with cafes, restaurants, and nightlife. For a glimpse into the city's history, tour the Basque Block, which pays tribute to the city's Basque community—the largest in the country (and fifth largest in the world). To take in Boise's thriving fine arts scene, head to the Egyptian Theatre, a downtown icon since 1927.
Just beyond the city limits, you'll find the forests, mountains, and rivers of Boise National Forest. The park houses several ski resorts, including Bogus Basin, a winter destination that's less than an hour from downtown and is home to more than 2,600 skiable acres.