Resort at a Glance: Inn at the Waterpark
Families can walk to Schlitterbahn Water Park and Moody Gardens amusement park from this hotel, which is right next door to these two beloved Galveston attractions. There’s plenty to keep you entertained onsite as well, whether you’re playing mini-golf or starting your day with the inn’s complimentary continental breakfast.
- Comfy accommodations: Guest rooms feature free WiFi and cable TV.
- Grab a bite: at the on-site restaurant, Jungle West.
- Sparkling outdoor pool surrounded by palm trees and a sundeck. .
- Tee off on the tropical-themed mini-golf course.
- Other nearby attractions: Future pilots will love the Lone Star Flight Museum, just a few blocks from the hotel. Within a 20-minute drive is Stewart Beach, where you can swim in the Gulf or lay out in the sun.
Galveston, Texas: Exotic Animals, Water Parks, and Victorian Mansions on the Gulf of Mexico
Galveston occupies a barrier island roughly a half-hour drive from Houston. Its gulf beaches are bathed in sunlight more than 200 days of the year. Though Galveston’s climate is almost tropical, penguins waddle into chilly waters at the city’s most famous attraction, Moody Gardens. Nearby, saki monkeys roam a rainforest habitat, stingrays glide through a 1.5-million-gallon aquarium, and snow falls on moviegoers’ noses in a 4-D theater. Another popular attraction is Schlitterbahn Galveston Water Park, where you can zoom down water slides and sidle up to a swim-up bar all year round.
Step back in time with a visit to downtown Galveston’s Strand District. Here, classic cars and horse-drawn carriages roll down streets lined with old-fashioned street lamps and elaborate Victorian mansions. These brick behemoths now house art galleries, antique stores, and shops selling homemade ice cream and handcrafted jewelry.