Restored 19th-Century Hotel on Historic, Car-Free Island
After stepping off the ferry to Mackinac Island, you may notice the absence of a familiar sound: traffic. An 1896 ban on automobiles, put in place by vacationers who fiercely guarded their island's serenity, is still in effect today. Daily ferries from mainland Michigan dock within two blocks of the Island House Hotel, a grand Victorian inn that overlooks both the harbor and the island's quaint Main Street.
A State of Michigan Historic Landmark and Historic Hotel of America, the Island House dates back to an age of socialites, high tea, and ballroom dancing. There’s even an onsite bike shop to set you up with the island’s preferred mode of transportation.
To sweeten the deal, this getaway comes with a half pound of award-winning fudge from Ryba’s Fudge Shop, as well as a $40 dining credit valid at the onsite restaurant, the 1852 Grill Room. Named for the year the house was built, the elegant restaurant serves breakfast and dinner from a menu that includes prime rib and baby-back ribs alongside locally caught fish. For a more casual experience, try the Ice House Bar & Grill, where you can chase a BLT with a tasty cocktail.
The hotel's traditional rooms are outfitted with charming furnishings and down quilts. On a warm day, there are few better places to catch the lake breeze than from one of the rocking chairs lining the long front porch. When the temperature drops—as it occasionally does in northern Michigan, even in summer—head for the hot tub and sauna adjoining the heated pool inside.
Mackinac Island, Michigan: Quaint Retreat with Deep American Roots
The Island House is not only Mackinac’s oldest hotel but also the only one that falls inside the boundaries of Mackinac Island State Park, America's second national park when it was established in 1875. Encompassing roughly 80% of the island, the park is laced with more than 70 miles of hiking trails through stunning boreal forest. A popular bicycle path skirts the coastline's limestone bluffs.
Soak in the island's history along with its scenery at Fort Mackinac, thought to be the first American military outpost captured by the British in the War of 1812. Admission to the fort includes access to a number of other sites in the island's historical downtown, including a preserved 18th-century home and the natural cocoa springs that produce the island's famous fudge.
No-shows will be charged total Groupon rate; no refunds, rescheduling, or rebooking allowed. Read the Fine Print for important info on travel dates and other restrictions.
What You Get
- Stay for two in a traditional king or queen room
- Daily breakfast for two
- Half pound of Ryba's Mackinac Island fudge
- $40 dining credit to 1852 Grill Room
- Best rates can be found for $149 King Bed option in October and for $149 Queen Bed option in September and October. Other dates are also discounted, but rates will be somewhat higher.
Policies and Fees
- Reservations: dates cannot be changed once booked; valid only for night(s) purchased
- Cancellation policy: 6-day cancellation notice required prior to check-in or reservation is non-refundable
- Taxes: 16% tax added at purchase
Read the Fine Print for important info on offer details and other restrictions.
- Two onsite restaurants
- Heated indoor pool, hot tub, and sauna
- Free WiFi
What Makes This Getaway Great
We're confident in your Groupon experience and back it with the Groupon Promise. Learn more.
Groupon-Exclusive Discounts. We negotiate directly with hotels and tour operators to get you the deepest discount available -- as only Groupon can.
Handpicked Travel. Our travel experts and writers research every getaway for you.
Fearless Booking. Book your dates directly on Groupon. If your plans change, you can cancel your reservation with just one click, up until the cancellation deadline.
More Great Deals See all
The Fine Print
- Dates cannot be changed once booked
- Valid only for night(s) purchased
- 6-day cancellation notice required prior to check-in or reservation is non-refundable
- No-shows will be charged total Groupon rate, no refunds, rescheduling, or rebooking allowed
- Traveler name must match ID at time of check-in
- No refunds will be processed by Groupon after check-in
- Must be 18 or older to check in
- Credit card required at check-in
- 16% tax added at purchase.
- Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
- See the rules that apply to all deals.
- One king bed or one queen bed
- Standard occupancy: 2
- Maximum occupancy: 2
- Adding occupants above standard: not available
- Cable TV
- Down comforters
- Check in: 3 p.m.
- Check out: 11 a.m.
- Parking: free
- Rollaways: not available
- Smoking policy: no smoking inside the property
- Pet policy: pets are not allowed inside the property.
- Accessibility: handicap-accessible rooms are available upon request, inquire with hotel after booking.
- Room upgrades: not available
- By plane: 36 miles from Chippewa County International Airport (CIU); 23 miles from Pellston Regional Airport (PLN)
- By car: Mackinac Island is located about 236 miles north of Grand Rapids, but it must be accessed by ferry, as cars are not permitted on the island.
- By ferry: 15-minute ferry ride from either Mackinaw City or St. Ignace
- Cars are not permitted on Mackinac Island. You must leave your car at the ferry docks in either Mackinaw City or St. Ignace.