Boutique Bed and Breakfast near Shelter Island Beaches
Shelter Island is a 27 square-mile beach sanctuary sandwiched between Long Island’s North and South Forks. It’s one of the most low-key spots in the area, marked by uncrowded beaches and quiet summer nights. There’s not a single traffic light on the island and hardly any cars. Residents prefer to travel most places on foot or by bike, and La Petite Maison embraces this leisurely vibe. Guests receive a complimentary bottle of wine upon arrival, and you’re invited to spend your time here relaxing or playing petanque (a French bocce ball-like game) out back.
Housed in a clapboard Victorian home, the inn has five individually decorated guest rooms. The king deluxe unit features a private deck, a jacuzzi tub, and a mini bar stocked with complimentary snacks. The inn’s intimate setup makes it easy to socialize with other guests, or cozy up alone with a bottle of wine. In the morning, head down for a complimentary breakfast of croissants, muffins, and fresh fruit.
La Petite Maison is well placed for exploring the island. Tucked away from the town center, it’s within walking distance of Crescent Beach, a popular swimming spot with dazzling sunset views. You can borrow beach chairs and towels from the front desk, and those who don’t want to walk can hitch a ride on the inn’s complimentary shuttle. The immaculately preserved 19th-century homes of Shelter Island Heights are also nearby.
Long Island’s Shelter Island: Small, Secluded Retreat with Victorian Mansions and Wildlife Preserves
Shelter Island can be reached only by ferry, which keeps the crowds to a minimum, even during the summer. While gourmet restaurants, such as Vine Street Café, draw the occasional celebrity (Kelly Ripa, Anderson Cooper, and Bill Clinton have all been spotted here)—Shelter Island still maintains a relaxed, small-town vibe thanks to its quiet beaches, winding country lanes, and Victorian-era homes. For a private afternoon, find a spot on one of the narrow strips of sand along Oak Tree Lane, which runs parallel to Shelter Island Sound.
The Mashomack Preserve stretches across 2,039 acres, covering a third of the island. Within its varied landscapes—oak woodlands, marshes, and freshwater ponds—you'll find harbor seals, hummingbirds, and one of the largest concentrations of nesting ospreys on the East Coast. At boltax.gallery on North Ferry Road, near the center of the island, you can admire cutting-edge work from such contemporary artists as Melina Berkenwald, whose hand-embroidered photographs resemble Impressionist paintings.
Read the Fine Print for important info on travel dates and other restrictions. No-shows will be charged total Groupon rate; no refunds, rescheduling, or rebooking allowed.
What You Get
- Stay for two in a king deluxe room
Policies and Fees
- Reservations: Dates cannot be changed once booked; valid only for night(s) purchased
- Cancellation policy & fees: 31-cancellation notice required prior to check-in or reservation is non-refundable.
- Taxes: 11.625% tax added at purchase.
Read the Fine Print for important info on travel dates and other restrictions.
- Complimentary breakfast
- Bike rentals
- Beach chairs and towels
- Complimentary shuttle service to the beach
What Makes This Getaway Great
We're confident in your Groupon experience and back it with the Groupon Promise. Learn more.
Groupon-Exclusive Discounts. We negotiate directly with hotels and tour operators to get you the deepest discount available -- as only Groupon can.
Handpicked Travel. Our travel experts and writers research every getaway for you.
Fearless Booking. Book your dates directly on Groupon. If your plans change, you can cancel your reservation with just one click, up until the cancellation deadline.
More Great Deals See all
The Fine Print
- Date cannot be changed once book; valid only for night(s) purchased
- 31-cancellation notice required prior to check-in or reservation is non-refundable
- No-shows will be charged total Groupon rate
- Traveler name must match ID at time of check-in
- No refunds will be processed by Groupon after check-in
- Must be 21 or older to check in
- Credit card required at check-in
- Not valid with reward points
- 11.625% tax added at purchase.
- Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
- See the rules that apply to all deals.
King Deluxe Room
- One king bed
- Standard occupancy: 2
- Maximum occupancy: 2
- Adding occupants above standard: N/A
- Check in: 3 p.m.
- Check out: noon
- Parking: free.
- Rollaways: not available.
- Smoking policy: no smoking inside the property.
- Pet policy: pets are not allowed inside the property.
- Accessibility: handicap-accessible rooms are not available.
- Room upgrades: not available.
- By transit: the only way to get to Shelter Island is by boat; ferries depart from Greenport and Sag Harbor.
The Groupon Guide to: Organizing Your Email Inbox
They say an organized inbox is the sign of an organized mind or the mind of a control freak—equally productive. Here's how you can assert power over the hoards of emails dumping into your inbox every moment:
Arrange your emails in order of how many exclamation points they have. Delete the ones with the least.
Delete emails from lawyers or anyone who wants to hold you responsible for your provocative neighborhood graffiti.
Any advertising emails sent to you by a company should be printed out and framed.
Make a folder for emails that would have probably been written as snail mail during gentler times.
If an email has pictures in it, it's either a forward about the power of angels over humans or a forward about hidden glass in movie-theater seats. Either way, pass it along to your entire address book without thinking twice.