Hotel at a Glance: La Siesta Resort & Marina
Frommer's calls Islamorada “the unofficial capital of [Florida’s] Upper Keys” for its upscale dining scene and world-class fishing. Set on a stretch of white-sand beach on the island, La Siesta Resort & Marina gives guests access to top watersports opportunities—you can schedule scuba-diving excursions and sunset cruises at the front desk, and a nearby rental company has everything you need for fishing, boating, and snorkeling trips.
- Bask in the sun on lounge chairs and hammocks on the beach or laze in the outdoor pool.
- Suite features: full kitchens, cable TVs, and island-style decor.
- Seafood specialties such as conch fritters and Key West pink shrimp are served at the area's waterfront restaurants and roadside shacks.
- History of Diving Museum displays artifacts and underwater equipment 3 miles from the hotel.
Highlights of Islamorada, Florida
- Location: the upper portion of the Florida Keys, southwest of Key Largo
- Bask in the sun or book a snorkeling or kayaking trip.
- Al fresco dining: Most restaurants offer beach or patio seating for a nice view of the sunset.
- Overseas Highway: Once a railroad connecting the Keys, it was hit by a hurricane in 1935 and later became a thoroughfare for motorists to drive right along the water. At Bahia Honda State Park, there's a bridge commemorating the old railway.