Hotel at a Glance: Pacific Shores Inn
Mission Boulevard is one of San Diego's most famous thoroughfares, as it hugs the Pacific Coast and dead ends at the tip of the peninsula in Mission Bay. The Pacific Shores Inn sits on Mission Boulevard, just a half-block from the ocean.
- Complimentary continental breakfast served each morning
- Go for a swim in the heated outdoor pool
- In-room amenities: Guest rooms feature a refrigerator, microwave, and cable TV, with beach-inspired decor
- Wild encounters: The famous San Diego Zoo is just 12 miles from the resort
- Notable accolades: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence in 2013
- Distance to downtown San Diego: about 10 miles, where you'll find Balboa Park, the Gaslamp Quarter, and other attractions
San Diego, California: Historical Attractions and Electric Nightlife in Southern California
San Diego's sunny, comfortably warm weather and 70 miles of coastline have long attracted vacationing out-of-towners, but the city's inland scene is no slouch, either. The Gaslamp Quarter is arguably one of the trendiest listings on the National Register of Historic Places. The area forms both the historic center of town and a hub of San Diego nightlife, with nearly 100 Victorian-era buildings now occupied by high-end boutiques, jewelers, and gourmet restaurants.
During the day, a stroll through iconic Balboa Park takes you past 17 separate museums, as well as the world-famous and much beloved San Diego Zoo. There's also the vibrant Spanish Village Art Center, a living gallery where local artists continuously produce pottery, handblown glass, and oil paintings for sale.
Farther north, in Old Town—site of the first European settlement in California—shops in Mission-style stucco buildings sell colorful wrestling masks, woven baskets, and maracas. Nearby stands The Whaley House Museum, dubbed one of the Most Terrifying Places in America by the Travel Channel. Ghosts of former residents are said to inhabit the rooms, which are filled with Victorian furniture, eerie dolls, and squeegees for ectoplasm cleanup.