Hotel at a Glance: Quartz Mountain Resort Arts & Conference Center
Quartz Mountain Nature Park surrounds this rustic, lodge-style resort, and the property is set up for its guests to enjoy the great outdoors. Paintings of the beautiful surrounding landscape can be found throughout the lodge, set amid exposed timber beams and fireplaces in a sitting area. Of course, if you want to see the setting up close, it's easy—ask a hotel staff member for advice on hiking one of Quartz Mountain's rugged trails, or cast out for walleye and largemouth bass from the banks of Lake Altus.
- Sundance Cafe: Dine on grilled ribeye and pan-seared tilapia amid crackling fireplaces and views of Lake Altus; al fresco seating is available if weather permits.
- Tee off at the nearby 18-hole, par-71 Quartz Mountain Golf Course.
- Room with a view: Look out onto Lake Altus or Quartz Mountain from guest rooms accented with log-frame furniture.
- Notable award: TripAdvisor's Certificate of Excellence in 2013
- Water slides nearby at Quartz Mountain Fun Park (starting the third weekend in April)
Lone Wolf, Oklahoma: Outdoor Adventure Near Historic Prairie Towns
Lone Wolf is a relatively quiet town—its population hovers somewhere around 450 people—but that is part of its appeal. it's set near Quartz Mountain Nature Park, whose 4,300 acres feature mountain trails and the glittering Lake Altus. It makes for some great photo ops, but the best way to take in the surroundings is by going on an adventure. Water-skiing, boating, and eagle-watching are some popular activities.
About a half hour south of Lone Wolf, the city of Altus has the Museum of the Western Prairie, which documents the adventuresome spirit of the prairie's pioneers. Downtown, you can sip cherry-topped shakes at mom-and-pop soda shops or visit a museum filled with antique dolls.
“The park has some amazing vistas, the art inside the lodge is beautiful, and the staff were very nice. ”
“Easy to find, beautiful sight and people are very friendly. It was very peaceful and pet friendly. ”
“The entry way was breath taking & the room was nice. It would have been nice to have Hi-5 in the room. The restaurant food was fair & little too expensive. ”