Hotel at a Glance: Renaissance Las Vegas
If you want to escape the Sin City hoopla come nightfall, the Renaissance Las Vegas has you covered: it's both smoke-free and casino-free. Yet the boutique hotel has no shortage of onsite dining options. Guests can enjoy Angus filets and bone-in ribeye at ENVY Steakhouse, dig into American sandwiches and cocktails made with locally procured ingredients at Grill 55, or opt for a lighter, on-the-go bite at Ego Café.
- Go for a swim in the outdoor pool or relax in the whirlpool.
- Work up a sweat in a 24-hour fitness center equipped with free weights, cardio machines, and complimentary fruit juices and water.
- In-room amenities: 42-inch flat-screen TV, coffeemaker, Sealy Posturepedic mattress, blackout drapes, and free bottled water, plus views of the Strip from certain rooms
- Stock up on snacks at the onsite sundry shop before heading off to explore Vegas.
- Distance from the Strip: half a mile
Las Vegas: The Strip Past and Present
Mentioning Las Vegas usually conjures up images of spinning roulette wheels and stone-faced poker players. If that’s what you’re looking for, you’ll want to make a beeline for the casinos lining the neon-lit Strip. But for lower-stakes gambling in a throwback Vegas atmosphere, head downtown to Fremont Street. Vintage signs and showgirls crowned with headdresses recall the days of Sinatra and Martin, but this Glitter Gulch burns much brighter today than it did in the Rat Pack era: beginning at dusk, a canopy of more than 12 million LED lights erupts in a psychedelic light and music show every hour.
Educational attractions have never been Sin City's strong suit, but the Mob Museum boasts a winning formula: bank robberies, prostitution, and money laundering. Exhibits profile legendary Mafiosi from Capone to Gotti, and mob artifacts include the bloodstained, bullet-pocked brick wall from the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre. Within the former federal courthouse, you can fire a Tommy gun simulator, participate in a police lineup, or enter witness protection for the rest of your life.