AAA Four Diamond Resort on Lake Tahoe’s North Shore
Tucked into the Sierra Nevada mountains, the AAA Four Diamond award-winning Resort at Squaw Creek sits just 10 minutes from Lake Tahoe’s north shore. The resort’s location makes it a great starting point for outdoor pursuits in the rugged Squaw Valley. In the summer, this ski resort draws outdoorsy folk to its hiking trails, its onsite fly-fishing center, and its golf course.
Deluxe rooms have picture windows overlooking Tahoe National Forest. The surrounding nature heavily influences the resort's full-service spa, which won fifth place in Condé Nast Traveler's 2013 Readers' Poll of North America's best spas. Indoor waterfalls and birch tree trunks help to set the mood for a specialty massage or facial, or a relaxing soak in one of three hot tubs.
This getaway includes a $25 dining credit you can use at the resort's five onsite eateries. At Six Peaks Grille, you can dine on regional cuisine as well as steaks and seafood in front of gorgeous mountain views, while Sandy's Pub is the place to grab a fish and chips and a spot to watch the game.
Highlights of North Lake Tahoe
- Where to ski? There's Squaw Valley, home of the 1960 Winter Olympic Games and 4,000 acres of skiable terrain spread across six peaks. Head to Alpine Meadows for more low-key atmosphere; it has about half the acreage but a little more elbowroom.
- Take a day trip: To the lake's South Shore, where major casinos and show rooms host everything from live bands to standup comics.
- Summertime activities: Including hiking at the ski resorts, swimming and kayaking in the lake, fishing in the area's many creeks.
- The Village at Squaw Valley: Designed to look like a European Alpine town, this resort town has a variety of shops and galleries as well as a museum dedicated to the 1960 Olympic Games. You can get in free with a cable-car ride to the top of the mountain.
- Go shopping: In the nearby historic town of Truckee,where trendy boutiques and fine-dining establishments sit beside local dive bars and souvenir shops along the town’s main drag.
“The staff were very friendly and helpful and the resort was clean, comfortable and pleasant!”
“Great resort, friendly staff, excellent breakfast! ”
“Gorgeous location and views, beautiful facility, very attentive staff, excellent dining and activities.”
Olympic Valley, CA
400 Squaw Creek Rd.
Olympic Valley, CA 96146