Oceanfront Hotel on North Carolina's Outer Banks
Shutters on the Banks - North Carolina's Outer Banks
Hotel at a Glance: Shutters on the Banks
Shutters on the Banks seems more like a large vacation home than a hotel. Set directly on the beach, this white-sided, green-roofed inn features spacious rooms with kitchenettes, all within steps of the sand and the beach-themed restaurants of Kill Devil Hills. Staying here, you'll be close to Outer Banks attractions such as five nearby lighthouses and the Wright Brothers National Memorial.
- Walk to the quaint shops of Kill Devil Hills.
- Wake-up call: Each morning, a complimentary hot continental breakfast is served.
- Splash into the year-round heated indoor pool.
- Work out with the free included YMCA passes for guests.
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina: Coastal Town Famous for Legendary Shipwrecks and Wright Brothers Memorial
Kill Devil Hills is located near the northern end of the Outer Banks, a resort region comprising a long string of barrier islands off the coast of North Carolina. Popular legend says the city got its name during the colonial era, when locals scavenged shipwrecks for rum so potent it could “kill the devil,” and then buried the bottles in the giant sand dunes. Today, this storied coastline—and specifically Kill Devil Hills—is most famous for being the site of Orville and Wilbur Wright’s first controlled, powered airplane flight in 1903. At the Wright Brothers National Memorial, you can visit the brothers’ reconstructed living quarters, see a replica of their plane, and stand on the spot where it made four takeoffs and landings.
The nearly 200-mile seashore is dotted with other small communities, including Corolla, where wild horses run free on the beaches. About 6 miles south of Kill Devil Hills in the beautiful town of Nags Head, visitors can climb the largest natural sand dune on the East Coast at Jockey’s Ridge State Park. In addition to offering spectacular views of the coast, the ridge is a popular spot for hang-gliding and kite flying.
What You Get
- Stay for two in a parking/pool view or dune-view room
- Dates into May
Policies and Fees
- Reservations: dates cannot be changed once booked; valid only for night(s) purchased
- Cancellation policy: 4-day cancellation notice required prior to check-in or reservation is nonrefundable
- Taxes: 12.75% added at purchase
No-shows will be charged total Groupon rate; no refunds, rescheduling, or rebooking allowed. Read the Fine Print for important info on offer details and other restrictions.
- Directly on the beach
- Walk to shops and restaurants
- Complimentary hot breakfast
- Heated indoor and outdoor pool
- Family game room with fireplace
- Free YMCA passes
What Makes This Getaway Great
We're confident in your Groupon experience and back it with the Groupon Promise. Learn more.
Groupon-Exclusive Discounts. We negotiate directly with hotels and tour operators to get you the deepest discount available -- as only Groupon can.
Handpicked Travel. Our travel experts and writers research every getaway for you.
Fearless Booking. Book your dates directly on Groupon. If your plans change, you can cancel your reservation with just one click, up until the cancellation deadline.
More Great Deals See all
The Fine Print
- Dates cannot be changed once booked; valid only for night(s) purchased
- 4-day cancellation notice required prior to check-in or reservation is non-refundable
- No-shows will be charged total Groupon rate
- Traveler name must match ID at time of check-in
- No refunds will be processed by Groupon after check-in
- Must be 21 or older to check in
- Credit card required at check-in
- Not valid with reward points
- 12.75% tax added at purchase.
- Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
- See the rules that apply to all deals.
- Two queen beds
- Standard occupancy: 2
- Maximum occupancy: 4
- Adding occupants above standard: $10 per night for each additional adult; kids stay free
- Check-in: 4 p.m.
- Checkout: 11 a.m.
- Parking: free
- Rollaways: not available
- Smoking policy: no smoking inside the property
- Pet policy: pets are not allowed inside the property.
- Accessibility: handicap-accessible rooms are not available.
- Room upgrades: not available
- By plane: 82 miles from Norfolk International Airport (ORF)
- By car: about 78 miles southeast of Norfolk