Lavish Estate in Excelsior Springs with Spa & Gourmet Dining
The Elms Hotel & Spa - Greater Kansas City
Century-Old Estate with European Spa and Gourmet Dining
Excelsior Springs, Missouri, is said to have natural mineral waters with soothing effects. The Elms Hotel & Spa was built as a stately haven for visitors to the springs; its guest list has included Al Capone, “Pretty Boy” Floyd, and President Harry Truman, who stayed at the hotel on the night of his memorable “Dewey Defeats Truman” re-election in 1948. A $16 million renovation in the late ’90s restored the Bavarian-style limestone building to its former grandeur. Today, The Elms Hotel & Spa is a draw of its own for its updated european spa. Here, you can take it easy inside a secluded grotto with steam showers and a bar stocked with exfoliating herbs and sea salts.
At the hotel’s restaurant, 88 at The Elms, chefs use locally sourced ingredients and seasonal produce grown on site to craft the entrees on a gourmet dinner menu. Smoked-shallot butter adds a zesty touch to the 12-ounce pan-seared rib eye. The restaurant also serves blueberry-quinoa pancakes for breakfast and lighter entrees and sandwiches at lunch.
In the guest rooms, there are memory-foam mattress and several contemporary amenities, including Keurig coffeemakers and iPod docking stations.
Excelsior Springs, Missouri: Historic Mineral-Spring Town Outside Kansas City
Excelsior Springs lies about 35 minutes northeast of Kansas City, along the banks of the East Fork Fishing River. The town made a name for itself after a natural spring unexpectedly spouted up near the river. The Excelsior Springs Hall of Waters & Cultural Museum is housed in a former 1930s bathhouse in an art-deco building hung with brilliant chandeliers, It has one of the world’s longest water bars and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Outside the museum, in downtown Excelsior Springs, there are craft shops, boutiques, and florists inside vintage redbrick buildings. Since Excelsior Springs sits in a riverside valley, there are several wineries in town and wine tastings are popular with tourists.
If you’re visiting the region for the first time, consider a side trip up to Kansas City, where the ratio of fountains to barbecue joints is roughly 2:1—as in, 200-plus public fountains and more than 90 restaurants where you can order the city’s signature slow-smoked meat.. Add a die-hard sports community and a downtown area named one of America’s best by Forbes magazine, and the at-times overlooked Kansas City has all the makings of a memorable getaway: culture, Midwestern charm, and an endless supply of sauce-slathered ribs.
What You Get
- Stay for two in a classic king or parlor suite king
- Select options include a $50 daily hotel credit, two daily grotto passes, or both
- Dates into January
Policies and Fees
- Reservations: dates cannot be changed once booked; valid only for night(s) purchased
- Cancellation policy: 48-hour cancellation notice required prior to check-in or reservation is nonrefundable
- Taxes: 16.34% tax added at purchase
No-shows will be charged total Groupon rate; no refunds, rescheduling, or rebooking allowed. Read the Fine Print for important info on offer details and other restrictions.
- Onsite dining
- Full-service spa
- Tavern and café
- 20-person hot tub
- Free WiFi
What Makes This Getaway Great
We're confident in your Groupon experience and back it with the Groupon Promise. Learn more.
Groupon-Exclusive Discounts. We negotiate directly with hotels and tour operators to get you the deepest discount available -- as only Groupon can.
Handpicked Travel. Our travel experts and writers research every getaway for you.
Fearless Booking. Book your dates directly on Groupon. If your plans change, you can cancel your reservation with just one click, up until the cancellation deadline.
More Great Deals See all
The Fine Print
- Dates cannot be changed once booked; valid only for night(s) purchased
- 48-hour cancellation notice required prior to check-in or reservation is non-refundable
- No-shows will be charged total Groupon rate
- Traveler name must match ID at time of check-in
- No refunds will be processed by Groupon after check-in
- Must be 18 or older to check in
- Credit card required at check-in
- Not valid with reward points
- 16.34% tax added at purchase.
- Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
- See the rules that apply to all deals.
Classic King Room and Parlor Suite King
- One king bed
- Standard occupancy: 2
- Maximum occupancy: 3
- Adding occupants above standard: $10 per night for each additional guest 18 or older; no charge for kids 17 or younger
- Check-in: 4 p.m.
- Checkout: noon
- Parking: free
- Rollaways: available for an additional $20 per night
- Smoking policy: no smoking inside the property
- Pet policy: pets up to 75 lbs. may be added for an additional $50 per stay.
- Accessibility: please contact property for handicap accessibility requests or options.
- Room upgrades: upgrades may be available at check-in for an additional cost.
- By plane: about 35 miles from Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
- By cab: about $70 from MCI
- By car: about 30 miles northeast of Kansas City, MO