Historic Four Diamond–Rated Resort with Mineral-Springs Spa
Since it first opened in 1766, The Homestead has enjoyed a reputation as one of the most luxurious resorts in the country, with a prestigious guestbook that includes more than 20 U.S. presidents. Golfing legend Sam Snead honed his game on the resident Old Course, and the Rockefellers and Vanderbilts once strolled the grand halls and gaming lawns. Today, The Homestead—set on 3,000 acres in the Allegheny Mountains—is as grand as ever. An outdoor water park was recently added to the property, and in 2011 and 2012, the resort was named one of the best in the world by Travel + Leisure magazine.
The resort’s popularity has always been influenced by its proximity to natural mineral springs. Take a soak in the healing waters that Thomas Jefferson claimed to be “of the first merit” at the Jefferson Pools, where the mineral content is so high that you’ll float with ease. Other presidents, including Taft and Eisenhower, favored the resort’s golf courses. Play a round on the Old Course, which dates back to 1892 and boasts the oldest tee in continuous use in the nation.
The resort's mountain environs make it an ideal base for outdoor recreation. Catch a glimpse of waterfalls and edible plants on a guided hike along the Cascades Gorge trail, or cast your line into a stream stocked with rainbow trout during a fly-fishing adventure.
The Homestead’s 10 restaurants and bars include Sam Snead’s Tavern and the main dining room, which draws a sophisticated dinner crowd with fine dining and live music. In the morning, you can enjoy pancakes, pastries, and cooked-to-order omelets at the breakfast buffet.
Bath County, Virginia: Warm Mineral Springs amid Allegheny Mountains
Bath County—a highlands region in western Virginia—is so named for its wealth of natural thermal springs that can reach temperatures upwards of 100 degrees. Since the early 1700s, visitors such as George Washington have traveled to Bath County to soak in the hot springs, whose healing properties are said to promote mental and physical well-being.
This area is also known for its unspoiled scenery. Spend an afternoon hiking the trails that wend through forests next to freshwater streams. Or, hop in your car for a scenic drive on country roads that crest over the Allegheny Mountains.
Bath also supports a prolific arts community. Just 3 miles from the resort, at the Garth Newel Music Center, you can enjoy an intimate concert followed by a gourmet meal with the musicians. The center also hosts festivals and champagne brunches throughout the year.
No-shows will be charged total Groupon rate; no refunds, rescheduling, or rebooking allowed. Read the Fine Print for important info on offer details and other restrictions.
What You Get
- Stay for two adults in a resort king or double room
- Up to three kids 18 or younger stay free
- Best rates for this getaway can be found for $154 various weekdays in early- to mid-September. Other dates are also discounted, but rates will be somewhat higher.
Policies and Fees
- Reservations: dates cannot be changed once booked; valid only for night(s) purchased
- Cancellation policy: 8-day cancellation notice required prior to check-in or reservation is non-refundable
- Taxes: 9% tax added at purchase
- Additional fees: $25 per day resort charge paid at check-in
Read the Fine Print for important info on offer details and other restrictions.
- 10 restaurants and bars
- Two golf courses
- Full-service spa with hot-spring pools
- Indoor and outdoor natural-springs pools
- Water complex with lazy river and water slides
- Outdoor, indoor, and seasonal activities, including kayaking, mountain biking, and skiing
- Four tennis courts and fitness center
- Complimentary WiFi
What Makes This Getaway Great
We're confident in your Groupon experience and back it with the Groupon Promise. Learn more.
Groupon-Exclusive Discounts. We negotiate directly with hotels and tour operators to get you the deepest discount available -- as only Groupon can.
Handpicked Travel. Our travel experts and writers research every getaway for you.
Fearless Booking. Book your dates directly on Groupon. If your plans change, you can cancel your reservation with just one click, up until the cancellation deadline.
More Great Deals See all
The Fine Print
- Dates cannot be changed once booked; valid only for night(s) purchased
- 8-day cancellation notice required prior to check-in or reservation is non-refundable
- No-shows will be charged total Groupon rate
- No refunds will be processed by Groupon after check in
- Must be 18 or older to check in
- Traveler name must match ID at time of check-in
- 9% tax added at purchase and $25/day resort fee paid at check-in.
- Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
- See the rules that apply to all deals.
- One king bed or two double beds
- Standard occupancy: 2
- Maximum occupancy: 5
- Adding occupants above standard: $25 per night for each additional guest 19 or older; no charge for additional guests 18 or younger
- Check in: 4 p.m.
- Check out: noon
- Resort charge includes: Internet access in guest rooms and resort public areas, morning coffee in the Lobby Bar, USA Today each weekday, afternoon tea, nightly movies, continuous property shuttles to all resort recreational activities, access to fitness center and tennis courts, and gratuities for housekeeping staff
- Parking: valet available for an additional $5 per day
- Rollaways: available for an additional $10 per night
- Smoking policy: no smoking inside the property
- Pet policy: pets are not allowed inside the property.
- Accessibility: please contact property for handicap-accessibility requests or options.
- Room upgrades: not available
- By plane: 52 miles from Greenbrier Valley Airport (LWB); 173 miles from Richmond International Airport (RIC)
- By car: about 80 miles north of Roanoke, Virginia