Historical Boutique Hotel in the Heart of the Five Points District
High atop The Inn at Claussen's, a boutique hotel in Columbia, South Carolina’s Five Points shopping district, there’s a weathered sign that promotes "Claussen's Bakery." The sign dates back to 1928, a leftover from the building's former life as a bakery. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and remodeled as a hotel in the 1980s, the brick building still serves freshly baked bread at breakfast, an homage to its history. The bread is just one part of the inn’s Southern charm, prompting Frommer’s to call it “the premier inn of Columbia.”
Located at one of the entrances of Columbia’s Five Points district, The Inn at Claussen's is an imposing brick figure trimmed with palmettos. Inside, the boutique hotel retains vestiges of its original hardwood floors and vintage mouldings. All of its 28 guest rooms come with elegant furnishings and understated decor. Some rooms even come with four-poster beds. Each evening, the innkeepers host a wine-and-cheese reception in the expansive lobby.
Columbia, South Carolina: Capital City with Small-Town Charm
Located just 3 miles from South Carolina’s exact geographic center, Columbia was founded as a compromise capital in 1786 to satisfy its Lowcountry and upstate factions. Although much of the city was destroyed in 1865 during General Sherman's March to the Sea, Columbia was rebuilt and thrives today as a historic state capital. Its wide streets are fringed with abundant greenery, thanks to its location near the confluence of three rivers and the massive Lake Murray.
In downtown Columbia, the fashionable Congaree Vista district features nearby warehouses and railroad stations repurposed as restaurants, galleries, and boutiques in a thriving arts community that’s centered on the old Adluh Flour Mill.
Take a day trip northwest of the city to explore Riverbanks Zoo and Garden, home to more than 2,000 animals from across the world, including lions, siamang apes, and ring-tailed lemurs. There, zebras and giraffes roam 2 acres of simulated African savannah, and reptiles and sharks live in the 20,000-square-foot Aquarium Reptile Complex. At the kangaroo walkabout, you can observe marsupials and discover the many uses for their pouches besides shoplifting.
Read the Fine Print for important info on travel dates and other restrictions.
- Fresh breakfast delivered to room daily
- Complimentary wine-and-cheese reception each evening
- Complimentary WiFi
- Free parking
What Makes This Getaway Great
We're confident in your Groupon experience and back it with the Groupon Promise. Learn more.
Groupon-Exclusive Discounts. We negotiate directly with hotels and tour operators to get you the deepest discount available -- as only Groupon can.
Handpicked Travel. Our travel experts and writers research every getaway for you.
Fearless Booking. Book your dates directly on Groupon. If your plans change, you can cancel your reservation with just one click, up until the cancellation deadline.
More Great Deals See all
The Fine Print
- Valid only for night(s) purchased
- 72-hour cancellation notice required prior to check-in or reservation is non-refundable
- No-shows will be charged total Groupon rate, no refunds, rescheduling, or rebooking allowed
- No refunds will be processed by Groupon after check in
- Traveler name must match ID at time of check-in
- Must provide first and last name upon purchase, which will be provided to The Inn at Claussen's
- Must be 21 or older to check in
- Credit card required at check in
- Not valid with reward points
- Guests must notify hotel after reservation to book additional occupants
- 11% tax and $1.07/day destination fee added at purchase.
- Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
- See the rules that apply to all deals.
- One king bed
- Standard occupancy: 2
- Maximum occupancy: 2 adults and 1 small kid
- Adding occupants above standard: 1 small kid 17 or younger stays free on existing bedding
- Two queen beds
- Standard occupancy: 2
- Maximum occupancy: 4
- Adding occupants above standard: $15 per night for each additional adult; no charge for kids on existing bedding
- Check-in: 3 p.m.
- Check out: noon
- Parking: free
- Rollaways: not available
- Smoking policy: no smoking inside the property
- Pet policy: no pets allowed inside the property
- Accessibility: handicap-accessible rooms are available upon request by calling the hotel.
- Room upgrades: not available
- By plane: 8 miles from Columbia Metropolitan Airport (CAE)
The Groupon Guide to: Anxiety Dreams
While most dreams are entirely meaningless pageants of nonsense, psychologists agree that on very rare occasions a dream may symbolize anxieties you face in your daily life. Consult this dream-interpretation chart to figure out what exactly it is you're worried about:
Dream: Your teeth are falling out.
Anxiety: You are worried about money, usually not having enough of it, or even more commonly, having far too much.
Dream: You are being chased by someone or something.
Anxiety: You are anxious about being too popular within your peer group of someones and somethings.
Dream: You are back in high school, but you're only wearing your underwear.
Anxiety: You are anxious about what fashion-forward outfit to wear to impress old classmates at your biweekly "Back to High School!" party.
Dream: You are falling from a great height.
Anxiety: You are worried that you are almost 30—or even older than 30!—and have never proved conclusively that you are unable to fly. Will today be the day?