Hotel at a Glance: Wingate by Wyndham Charleston University Boulevard
This new, family-friendly hotel is located on the campus of Charleston Southern University. Situated in North Charleston—which Bloomberg Businessweek named one of America’s most fun, affordable cities—the hotel is perfectly positioned for guests to explore the Lowcountry’s many recreational and cultural attractions. Hiking, biking, and boating can be enjoyed only a mile away at a county park, and you can reach downtown Charleston’s award-winning restaurants and historic sites in 30 minutes.
- Go swimming: The hotel has an outdoor pool with a jacuzzi and a waterfall, and Charleston’s family-friendly beaches are only 30 minutes away.
- Outdoor fun: mountain biking, boating, and hiking at the 1,015-acre North Charleston Wannamaker County Park (1 mile from the hotel)
- Complimentary breakfast buffet: scrambled eggs, waffles, sausage, bacon, and fruit
- In-room amenities: flat-screen HDTVs, refrigerators, and photographs by local artists
- Off the beaten path: Canoe and kayak through black-water swamps at Cypress Gardens, where a number of Hollywood films have been shot.
- Within walking distance: several dining options, including a New York-style deli and an old-school barbecue joint
North Charleston, South Carolina: Family-Friendly City with Hiking, Boating, and Live Theater
Located about 15 minutes from downtown Charleston, North Charleston is a friendly residential community in the heart of the Lowcountry. Bloomberg Businessweek named it one of America’s most fun, affordable cities in 2011, noting the many family-owned shops and restaurants in the historic district. At North Charleston Wannamaker County Park, you can hike and bike miles of woodland trails or rent a paddleboat and go cruising along the lagoon. Another popular destination is the North Charleston Coliseum and Performing Arts Center, where you can see concerts, Broadway musicals, and the South Carolina Stingrays hockey team.
To the south you’ll find Charleston, which was recently named one of the best historic destinations in the country by U.S. News & World Report. Georgian mansions line the waterfront, the spires of colonial-era churches punctuate the skyline, and horse-drawn carriages clop along cobblestone streets.
In recent years, Charleston has merged its Old South roots with a strong arts-and-culture scene. The streets are lined with top-tier art galleries and antique stores, and you can catch live jazz performances at night. Step out onto King Street to browse third-generation clothiers who have set up shop in landmark buildings.
No-shows will be charged total Groupon rate; no refunds, rescheduling, or rebooking allowed. Read the Fine Print for important info on offer details and other restrictions.