Top Reasons to Stay at By the Side of the Road Inn & Cottages
- This historic, 18th-century Irish inn is located in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley amid the Blue Ridge Mountains. just two hours outside of D.C.
- The private Spring Water Cottage Suites are located by a pond. Each suite features luxury showers with eight spray heads, private balconies, and flat-panel TVs.
- Upon entering your suite, you’ll enjoy two complimentary pints of Guinness draught on the house.
- Each morning, you’ll get a hot gourmet breakfast delivered to your door.
- This Groupon includes a $25 dining credit to Corgans’ Publick House, an Irish pub located about 4 miles southeast.
Harrisonburg, Virginia: Home of James Madison University near Historical Landmarks
The town of Harrisonburg is nestled between the Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains in the picturesque Shenandoah Valley, just a couple hours north of Roanoke. Harrisonburg has seen a population boom recently and the city has expanded to accommodate it. The enrollment at local James Madison University has nearly doubled in size over the last 20 years, and it has recently built up its lovely campus. In nearby Staunton, there’s the new Frontier Culture Museum, which tells the story of the early immigrants who migrated to colonial America.
Harrisonburg offers guests a variety of things to see and do locally. Guests can travel the Civil War trails in an area that's been called "the bread-basket of the Confederacy" and saw many important struggles between Union and Confederate forces. A number of parks, arboretums, and golf courses provide leisurely ways to spend the day outdoors. You can also take a guided tour at the nearby Endless Caverns, which have provided visitors with dazzling displays of unique rock formations since 1920. Travelers can also partake in more modern pursuits, such as local dining options which include elegant restaurants and local food trucks.
Read the Fine Print for important info on travel dates and other restrictions.