Top Reasons to Visit Clarion Inn and Wasserbahn Waterpark Resort
- The Amana Colonies, Tanger Outlets, and the University of Iowa are all within short driving distance of the hotel.
- The indoor Wasserbahn Waterpark features two water slides, a hot tub, a kiddie pool, and a zero-entry wading pool.
- There are many dining options here: enjoy an Amana-style family meal at the Seven Villages Restaurant, a cocktail at the Village Pump Lounge, pizza at Godfather’s Pizza, or pulled-pork sandwiches at Maid-Rite.
- The hotel’s 18-hole mini-golf course and outdoor playground are great for families traveling with kids.
- Guest rooms come with coffeemakers, cable TV, and pillow-top mattresses.
Amana Colonies Area, Iowa: Historic German Villages with Handcrafted Goods and Authentic German Cuisine
Located about 25 miles northwest of Iowa City, the Amana Colonies are a cluster of seven villages founded by German Pietists in the mid-19th century along the Iowa River. The colonists maintained a communal, self-sufficient lifestyle and produced their own food, furniture, and clothes until 1932. Today, the barns, mills, and kitchens of yesteryear have been carefully preserved and the entire colony is designated as a National Historical Landmark. Throughout the villages are more than 60 unique boutiques where you can shop for homemade goods. You’ll likely see artists busy at work around town, sculpting copper, hand weaving baskets, or whittling iPhones.
Take a stroll down the quaint, lantern-lined streets of Amana; it’s the largest of the seven villages and home to the Amana Furniture Shop. The shop was once an important source of income for the colonies, and it still sells handcrafted tables, chests, beds, chairs, and clocks. The colonies’ strong German heritage is also evident in their cuisine—dig into a traditional family-style meal at the Colony Inn Restaurant or the Ox Yoke Inn.
Read the Fine Print for important info on travel dates and other restrictions.