Hotel at a Glance: Edelweiss Lodge
- Warm welcome: You’ll receive a welcome basket with home-baked cookies and information about the area.
- Dog lovers: Pups get welcome baskets of their own with supplies and treats; click to see the lodge’s pet policy.
- Decked-out cabins: The lodge’s 10 units feature wood-burning stoves with glass fronts, fully equipped kitchenettes, and cable TV.
- Let off steam in the four-person jacuzzi.
- Fire up the grill: There are outdoor barbecues on the property.
Mammoth Lakes, California: Hot Springs and Hiking in the Sierra Nevada
Mammoth Lakes is a quiet California town high up in the Sierra Nevada mountains southeast of Yosemite National Park. It’s the main gateway to Mammoth Mountain resort, which is just a 10-minute drive from the center of town. The resort is home to the highest golf course in California and Mammoth Mountain Bike Park, which Outside magazine named the best bike park in the United States.
Though Mammoth Lakes is a natural playground for skiers and snowboarders, it’s a popular destination for fishing and hiking in warmer months. Convict Lake, which got its name after a sheriff captured a group of escaped inmates here in 1871, is well known for its stunning mountain vistas and abundance of rainbow trout. The lake is encircled by an easy 3-mile hiking path that reveals the mountains from all perspectives.
The area’s geothermal activity supports a number of natural hot springs, which are great places to unwind after a day of exploring the wilderness. When hunger strikes, head to downtown Mammoth Lakes to find casual bistros and bars pouring West Coast brews.