Tour of South Africa with Game Drives
On this 9-day tour from Friendly Planet Travel, you'll see two sides of South Africa: modern Cape Town and a game reserve that shelters all of the Big 5 game animals. Contemporary hotel accommodations puts you within easy reach of popular Cape Town attractions, and you'll spot local wildlife at the reserve on daily game drives.
The tour includes:
- Round-trip airfare from New York (JFK) or Washington, DC (IAD) on South Africa Airways
- Fuel surcharges, taxes, and fees
- Flights, ground transportation, and transfers within South Africa
- 4 nights at Protea Hotel Breakwater Lodge in Cape Town
- 2 nights at Entabeni Lakeside Lodge
- 6 breakfasts, 2 lunches, and 2 dinners
- Sightseeing in Cape Town
- 4 game drives at Entabeni Private Conservancy
- Professional English-speaking guide and game rangers
Click here to see a full itinerary and list of optional excursions, which you can book locally.
Day 1: En route to Cape Town
- Flight time: 19 hours from JFK and 22 hours from IAD
Days 2–5: Cape Town
On your second day in Cape Town, you'll take a half-day city tour that highlights the city's scenic and historic sites. Visit a 17th-century Dutch fort dubbed the Castle of Good Hope and take a cable-car ride up Table Mountain, a plateau with scenic views of the coast. The remainder of the time is yours to explore this modern city on your own. Be sure to try the local cuisine—common dishes include bobotie, spiced minced meat baked with an egg-based topping, and gatsbys, hoagie-style sandwiches filled with meat or fish and french fries.
- Nickname: The Mother City, an affectionate term used by locals
- Provided meals: daily breakfast
- Get some fresh air: Cape Town is an outdoor city with numerous parks and gardens—Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden has been called one of the world's great botanic gardens—gnarly surf spots and scenic hiking trails.
- Optional trips: scenic drive and funicular (cable railway) ride to Cape Point ($75 per person) visits the Cape of Good Hope, Chapman’s Peak, Boulders Beach, and the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens; half-day tour of wine country with tastings ($55 per person); and half-day tour of Cape Town's townships ($45 per person)
Days 6–8: Entabeni
On your first afternoon at the Entabeni Private Conservancy, you'll embark on the first of four game drives in open vehicles. The conservancy encompasses five ecosystems and all of the Big 5 game animals: lions, African elephants, Cape buffalos, leopards, and rhinos. All game drives are led by expert guides who know the terrain, so you're all but guaranteed to see several of the conservancy's 55 species of large mammals.
- Travel time: 5 hours total; 2-hour flight and a 3-hour drive
- Provided meals: daily breakfast, 2 lunches, and 2 dinners
- Lodge amenities: Entabeni Lakeside Lodge features a restaurant that serves all of your meals, an outdoor swimming pool, and a viewing platform where you may spot the local wildlife.
- Optional activities: horseback riding, bush walks, and helicopter flights (extra fees, payable locally)
Day 9: En route to USA
- Flight time (from Johannesburg): 17 hours to JFK and 18 hours to IAD
Frequently Asked Questions
How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal?
This deal is only available from the gateways included.
Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal?
To book a late return, let Friendly Planet know and they’ll do their best to accommodate your request.
How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available?
If your requested date is available for purchase on Groupon’s site, it should still be available.
What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available?
You should not be able to buy a Groupon for a sold out date or departure city.
Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room?
Every passenger traveling is required to have one. Triple rooms may be available on request.