9-Day Rail Tour of Italy's Most Prominent Cities
Cruise Venice's canals, see Michelangelo's David, and visit Vatican City on this 9-day tour of Italy's beloved metropolises. You'll navigate between Venice, Florence, and Rome by rail, but there's no set itinerary in each city, so you can explore their landmarks at your own pace. Check out some of our suggested stops below.
This tour includes:
- Round-trip airfare from NYC, gateway subject to availability
- 2 nights at 4-star Hotel Plaza in Venice Mestre
- 2 nights at 4-star Grand Hotel Mediterraneo in Florence
- 3 nights at 3-star Hotel PortaMaggiore or Hotel Donatello in Rome (hotel assigned at time of booking)
- Rail transportation between cities with reserved seats
- Daily breakfast
View the full itinerary here.
You won't be distracted by honking car horns in the heart of Venice. Cars are off-limits here. Instead, most transportation glides down the countless canals that criss-cross this city. Minutes from your Venice hotel, you can ride a gondola along the Grand Canal to see rows of historic architecture.
- See priceless works of art by Jackson Pollock, Dali, and Picasso at the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, a modern art museum located on the Grand Canal.
- St. Mark's Square: Stop to feed the many pigeons in Venice's largest square; Casino Royale and The Italian Job were filmed here.
- Head to the top of the 9th-century bell tower in Piazza San Marco for magnificent views of the neighboring islands and the Dolomite Mountains.
Surrounded by Tuscany's rolling green farmlands, Florence was at the heart of Italian Renaissance, and its museums and churches still display some of the world's most renowned art from that time period. Visit the Uffizi Gallery to marvel at works by Botticelli and Leonardo da Vinci.
- Say it like a local: Florence in Italian is pronounced "Firenze"
- See David: MIchelangelo's marble piece de resistance is the highlight at the Galleria dell'Accademia
- Il Duomo: The red-capped dome of Florence's main church is one of Italy's most well-known structures. Climb its winding staircase to see light glinting through stained-glass windows and onto elaborate frescoes dating to the 16th-century.
From the Colosseum's crumbling columns to the Sistine Chapel's frescoes painted by Michelangelo, Rome is a well-spring of history and culture. You'll spend three nights in the Eternal City, with time to check out the Roman Forum and other ancient relics.
- Toss a coin into Trevi Fountain to help guarantee you'll visit the city again; the fountain looks ethereal by moonlight.
- St. Peter's Basilica: This 16th-century masterpiece is the main church of Catholicism, featuring a bronze-trimmed altar, a statue of St. Peter, and a massive, vaulted dome. Give yourself at least an hour to explore the space.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal?
Airfare is available from the New York City metro area. The departure airport (JFK, EWR or LGA) will be advised at the time of booked based on availability. The supplemental fee to depart from a city that isn’t included is subject to departure date and availability at the time of booking.
Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal?
Yes, you may extend your stay.
How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available?
The dates available are listed on each option.
What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available?
You can either choose another date or be refunded by Groupon. We suggest calling Gate 1 Travel to redeem your vouchers as soon as possible so that you do not run into this problem.
Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room?
Children 12 and over will need a Groupon for travel. Children under 12 may be eligible for a discount. Contact Gate 1 Travel directly for child fares 1 (800)-682-3333.