See Ireland by Train
Ireland's rolling, green hills and medieval villages have become emblems of the country's character. You can watch this pristine landscape unfold on train rides between Limerick, Galway, and Dublin on this 8-day trip from Great Value Vacations. This vacation includes:
- Round-trip airfare from New York, Boston, or Chicago
- Alternate departure dates/gateways may be available for additional fee.
- 2 nights of standard accommodations at North Star Hotel in Dublin
- 2 nights of standard accommodations at the Strand Hotel in Limerick
- 2 nights of standard accommodations at the Imperial Hotel in Galway with breakfast
- Multi-city rail ticket from Dublin to Limerick to Galway to Dublin
Day 1: En route from USA
- Flight time: 7 hours from JFK; 6.5 hours from BOS; 8 hours from ORD
Day 2: Dublin
Your adventure begins in Ireland's bustling capital city, which overlooks Dublin Bay on the east coast. The itinerary is up to you, and there's plenty to see—check out the ancient Book of Kells at the Trinity College Library, tour the Guinness Storehouse, or simply enjoy a pint at one of the city's 1,000 local pubs. North Star Hotel will be your home base in Dublin; it's a modern hotel located just a short walk from the city center and the picturesque River Liffey.
- Eat local: Many of the ingredients in the fine Irish cuisine at the hotel restaurant, McGettigans Cookhouse & Bar, are sourced from Dublin farms.
- Hear traditional Irish music nightly, at pubs and theaters across the city. Click here to find performances.
- Say it in Gaelic: Baile Átha Cliath—pronounced 'bawl-ya awe-ha clee-ah' or 'blaw clee-ah' for short—translates to "Town of the Hurdled Ford."
Days 3–4: Limerick
Bisected by the River Shannon in south-central Ireland, Limerick is chock-full of historic sites, including a 13th-century castle and the 12th-century St. Mary's Cathedral that still holds mass. There's also a scenic walkway along the river. These and other Limerick attractions are within an easy walk of the Strand Hotel, which sits in the city center, just steps away from the River Shannon.
- Train travel from Dublin: about 2 hours
- Why visit now: Limerick has been named the 2014 City of Culture, and lots of festivities are planned throughout the year.
- Claim to fame: Limerick is the setting in Frank McCourt's well-known memoir, Angela's Ashes, though the city has been significantly revitalized since then.
- Say it in Gaelic: Luimneach—pronounced 'lim-en-nuk' or 'lim-nuk' for short—means "Bare Land."
Days 5–6: Galway
It's not uncommon to hear people conversing in traditional Gaelic in Galway. Often called Ireland's "most Irish city," Galway is a haven of Celtic culture and literature. The city gets a lot of rain—about 15 days out of every month—but there are plenty of indoor activities to keep you occupied (and dry). Hit up the Galway City Museum to learn about the city's long history or stop by McDonagh's to taste some of the best fish and chips around. From the Imperial Hotel, it's just a short walk into the city center, across the River Corrib.
- Train travel from Limerick: about 2 hours
- Fuel up before a day of sightseeing with a free continental breakfast at the hotel.
- Fun in the sun: On sunny days, the beaches at Salthill are perfect for swimming and sunbathing.
- Say it in Gaelic: Gaillimh—pronounced 'gawl-ee-ay' or 'gah-lif' for short—is thought to mean "Foreigners."
Day 7: Dublin
- Train travel from Galway: about 2.5 hours
Day 8: En route to USA
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Howmuch would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal?
Call Great ValueVacations at (800) 495-4903 for additional pricing options from any departureairport not listed on the Groupon Getaways deal page.
2. Can we extend our trip before or after thepromotional dates for the deal?
Yes, foran additional fee you can arrange for that over the phone when you redeem yourvacation.
3. How do I find out if the dates I want totravel are available?
Afteryour purchase, call Great Value Vacations at (800) 495-4903 for the mostup-to-date availability.
4. What happens if I buy the Groupon and mytravel dates are not available?
If GreatValue Vacations is unable to book the stay you want during the available datesand before the book-by date, Groupon will refund your purchase.
5. Does my child need a Groupon, and can theystay in my room?
Alltravelers over the age of 2 are required to purchase a Groupon. Differentoccupancy arrangements can be requested with Great Value Vacations at the timeof reservation