Travel Ireland by Train on a 7-Day Trip
Ireland's rolling, green hills and medieval villages have become emblems of the country's character. You can watch this pristine landscape unfold on train rides between Limerick, Galway, and Dublin on this 7-day trip from Great Value Vacations. This vacation, based on two people traveling together, includes:
- Round-trip airfare from New York (JFK), Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), or Los Angeles (LAX)
- 2 nights' standard accommodations at North Star Hotel in Dublin; first night in Dublin is at the beginning of the trip, and second night is at the end of the trip
- One-way rail ticket from Dublin to Limerick
- 2 nights' standard accommodations at Absolute Hotel in Limerick
- One-way rail ticket from Limerick to Galway
- 2 nights' standard accommodations at Clayton Hotel in Galway(breakfast included)
- One-way rail ticket from Galway to Dublin
Departure for Ireland
You'll spend most of Day 1 crossing the Atlantic. Flight time ranges from 7 hours (if departing from New York) to 11 hours (if departing from Los Angeles).
Dublin: International Capital Home to Guinness and Trinity College
Your adventure begins in Ireland's bustling capital city, which overlooks Dublin Bay on the east coast of the island. The itinerary is up to you, and there's plenty to see—check out the ancient Book of Kells at the Trinity College Library, tour the Guinness Storehouse, or simply enjoy a pint at one of the city's 1,000 local pubs. North Star Hotel will be your home base in Dublin; it's a modern hotel located just a short walk from the city center and the picturesque River Liffey.
- Make like Leopold Bloom and take a stroll around the city, where you'll discover classical buildings and verdant gardens; look for the bell towers at Trinity College, once home to Oscar Wilde and Samuel Beckett.
- Drink like a local: Choose from more than 100 whiskeys at Bowes Lounge or grab a cozy corner at John Kehoe’s.
- Bangers and mash and more: Many of the ingredients used at the hotel restaurant, McGettigans Cookhouse & Bar, are sourced from Dublin farms.
Limerick: Ireland’s First National City of Culture
On Day 3, you'll take a two-hour train ride to Limerick. Bisected by the River Shannon in south-central Ireland, Limerick is chock-full of historic sites, including a 13th-century castle and the 12th-century St. Mary's Cathedral (which still holds Mass). There's also a scenic walkway along the river. These and other Limerick attractions are within an easy walk of Absolute Hotel, which sits in the Medieval Quarter, just steps from the river.
- Festivals galore: Limerick has been named the 2014 City of Culture, and lots of festivities are planned throughout the year.
- Literary connections: A two-hour Angela's Ashes themed walking tour includes stops at several places mentioned in Frank McCourt's memoir, including Windmill Street, Leamy’s National School, and South’s pub.
- Relax in style at the hotel's spa, which offers massages, facials, and body wraps.
Galway: Bastion of Gaelic Ireland
On Day 5, you can relax on the train during a two-hour ride to Galway. Often called Ireland's "most Irish city," Galway is a haven of Celtic culture and literature, and it's not uncommon to hear people conversing in traditional Gaelic. You'll spend 2 nights at Clayton Hotel, where you can fuel up in the morning with a free continental breakfast.
- 800 years of history are on display at Galway City Museum.
- The Collegiate Church of St. Nicholas has been around since 1320; legend has it Christopher Columbus worshipped there when he visited Galway in 1477.
- The beaches at Salthill are perfect for sunbathing and swimming on sunny days.
- Eat fish 'n' chips at McDonagh's—the Guardian claims they're some of the best around.
Return to the U.S.
On Day 7, you'll take a 2 1/2-hour train from Galway to Dublin, where you will stay the night before boarding a flight home.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal?
Call Great Value Vacations at (800) 495-4903 for additional pricing options from any departure airport not listed on the Groupon Getaways deal page.
Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal?
Yes, for an additional fee you can arrange for that over the phone when you redeem your vacation.
How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available?
After your purchase, call Great Value Vacations at (800) 495-4903 for the most up-to-date availability.
What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available?
If Great Value Vacations is unable to book the stay you want during the available dates and before the book-by date, Groupon will refund your purchase.
Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room?
All travelers age 2 and over are required to purchase a Groupon. Different occupancy arrangements can be requested with Great Value Vacations at the time of reservation.
Is the price advertised available on every date?
Airfare subject to availability. Additional fees may apply for some departure dates. Contact Great Value Vacations for details.