8-Day Vacation in Rome and the Amalfi Coast
All trips include:
- Round-trip airfare from JFK, BOS, or ORD (alternate departure dates/gateways may be available for additional fee)
- Manual-shift economy car rental for duration
- 4 nights' standard accommodations with daily breakfast at Hotel Gardenia in Sorrento
- 2 nights' standard accommodations at Villa Vecchia in Rome
Your Italian vacation begins with 4 nights along the Amalfi Coast in southern Italy, a scenic, 43-mile-long stretch of coastline that Fodor's praises as "gigglingly gorgeous." Here, colorful, historic villages such as Positano and Vietri sul Mare cling to craggy cliffs above the Mediterranean Sea. This is where Italians go to play—just as they have for centuries.
- Accommodations: Hotel Gardenia in Sorrento; daily breakfast is included
- Explore the British-style public gardens of Villa Cimbrone in Ravello, a medieval-era town west of Sorrento
- Recommended day trip: Pompeii, the town that was preserved in ash after the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 A.D.
- Relax on an island: Capri is another must-do, with its luxury boutiques, scenic coastal chairlift, and Grotta Azzurra—a cave filled with aquamarine-hued water, accessible by boat
The Eternal City is your last stop on this 8-day vacation. Rome is chock-full of must-see attractions, from Vatican City to the ruins of the Roman Forum, where Marc Antony eulogized Julius Caesar after his assassination. It can be overwhelming to try to see and do it all, so pencil some downtime into your itinerary. Much of Rome's charm lies in wandering its winding cobblestone streets and stumbling upon unexpected sights. Just be sure to toss a coin into the Trevi Fountain; according to legend, doing so guarantees your return to Rome.
- Accommodations: Hotel Villa Vecchia
- Take a guided tour of St. Peter's Basilica: It'll cost you a couple of extra euros, but it's worth it to learn about the magnificent sculptures and symbolic architecture around every corner in the largest church in Christendom.
- Grab dinner at an outdoor cafe in Piazza Navona. Choose a seat with a view of the massive Four Rivers Fountain, designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini.
- Browse ancient art including Renaissance- and Antiquities-era sculptures at the Galleria Bhorgese, housed in a 17th-century villa. Make a reservation before your trip; the museum only admits a certain number of people per hour, allowing for a more intimate experience with its wares.
- Go to the Coliseum first thing in the morning to beat the crowds; pick up an audio wand and do a self-guided tour of the ancient arena where gladiators—and a menagerie of wild animals—once battled to the death.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much would it cost to fly from an airport not listed as part of this deal?
Call Great Value Vacations at (800) 495-4903 for additional pricing options from any departure airport not listed on the Groupon Getaways deal page.
Can we extend our trip before or after the promotional dates for the deal?
Yes, for an additional fee you can arrange for that over the phone when you redeem your vacation.
How do I find out if the dates I want to travel are available?
After your purchase, call Great Value Vacations at (800) 495-4903 for the most up-to-date availability.
What happens if I buy the Groupon and my travel dates are not available?
If Great Value Vacations is unable to book the stay you want during the available dates and before the book-by date, Groupon will refund your purchase.
Does my child need a Groupon, and can they stay in my room?
All travelers over the age of 2 are required to purchase a Groupon. Different occupancy arrangements can be requested with Great Value Vacations at the time of reservation.