Hotel at a Glance: Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort
Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort sits on 34 acres of historic, flowering property in the foothills of the Catalina Mountains. Once a schoolhouse for the daughters of high society, the estate is today best known for its AAA Four Diamond Award–winning restaurant, The Grill, which serves contemporary cuisine with local ingredients—many plucked right from the hotel’s garden.
- Press shout-out: Wine Spectator has honored The Grill’s 10,000-bottle wine list with awards of excellence for 14 years running.
- Interesting cocktail: The Sandia is created from fresh muddled seedless watermelon, Marie Brizard Watermelon Liqueur, Bacardi Grand Melon Rum, and fresh lime juice.
- Happy hour: Swing by between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday for discounted drinks and half-off appetizers.
- Hot tip: The Grill’s Sunday brunch ranks among the best in town, with buffet-style omelets, waffles, and complimentary champagne and mimosas.
- In-room amenities: Spacious Hacienda rooms feature handcrafted furniture, flat-screen TVs, and views of the desert, garden, or city.
- Go swimming in the outdoor pool.
Highlights of Tucson, Arizona
- Bastion of southwestern culture surrounded by mountains and desert
- Downtown restaurant scene where you can get authentic chilies rellenos, sushi, and upscale bistro fare with fine wines from nearby vintners
- Frescoes and sculptures at Mission San Xavier del Bac, a white-adobe church that's one of the oldest intact European structures in Arizona
- Worthwhile day trip: the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, a combined botanical garden and zoo inhabited by mountain lions, gila monsters, and more than 1,200 kinds of plants