Top Reasons to Stay at Hillwinds Inn
- Located in the artsy mountain town of Blowing Rock, North Carolina, Hillwinds Inn is within walking distance of the restaurants, boutiques, and galleries of Main Street.
- Traditional guest rooms are done up in country-style decor and feature 30-inch flat-screen TVs, refrigerators, and coffeemakers.
- Each morning, staff lay out a complimentary continental breakfast at the Swedenborg Lodge.
- Enjoy the bottle of wine included with this getaway in front of the fireplaces in the main lodge.
- Downtown, the Blowing Rock Art and History Museum features permanent exhibits of glass art and North Carolina pottery. A temporary display called “North Carolina Treasures” showcases the work of three local artists: a potter, a chair maker, and a photographer.
Blowing Rock, North Carolina: Outdoor Adventure in Blue Ridge Mountains
Bordering Pisgah National Forest and named for a storied rock formation, Blowing Rock is a great home base for outdoor recreation in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Popular activities range from whitewater rafting and fly-fishing in the summer to cross-country and downhill skiing in the cooler months. About 25 miles northwest of Blowing Rock is Beech Mountain Resort, where skiers and snowboarders zip down 15 trails suited to all skill levels.
Host to the annual Blowing Rock Charity Horse Show since 1923, the area is also known for its equestrian pursuits. A good place to go riding is the Moses H. Cone Memorial Park, a historic estate on 3,600 acres of forests and meadows. Within the park are 26 miles of carriage roads designated for walking and horseback riding. To see the sights from a car, head to the Blue Ridge Parkway, a scenic motorway through the Appalachians.
Back in town, Blowing Rock’s Main Street is lined with eateries and boutiques. Bargain hunters might want to stop by Tanger Outlets, home to Banana Republic, Loft, and Polo Ralph Lauren outlet stores.
Read the Fine Print for important info on travel dates and other restrictions.
“Turn porch lights out at night. room is too bright”