Hotel at a Glance: Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites sits in the riverside village of Algonquin, about 45 miles northwest of downtown Chicago. The hotel's posh guest suites feature satellite TVs, kitchenettes, and complimentary hot breakfast. Business travelers can take advantage of roomy meeting spaces and audio-visual equipment.
- Romance Package: Choose Option 3 to stay a whirlpool suite, with chocolates from Morkes, a bottle of wine, and a couples massage at the nearby Hand & Stone Spa.
- Complimentary shuttle service takes guests to Raging Buffalo Snowboard Park and Wakeboard School and other attractions within five miles of the property.
- Colonial Cafe is on-site restaurant that serves all-day breakfast, Angus burgers, and slow-roasted pot roast
- Don't skip dessert: The cafe's Kitchen Sink sundae includes two scoops of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream piled high with bananas, pineapples, almonds, and whipped cream
- Indoor pool and hot tub open year-round
Algonquin, Illinois: Fox River Trails and Village Charm Near Shopping and Ski Park
Algonquin's setting along the Fox River—fringed by wooded bluffs and wildflowers—made the town a popular weekend getaway for Chicagoans during the Victorian Era. Today, visitors come to fish, boat, or hike along the 33-mile long Fox River Valley Trail, which originates in Algonquin and weaves past the town center's historic brick homes, shops, and cafes. From May–October, locals sell fresh produce downtown at the open-air farmer's market. In the winter, you can take the complimentary shuttle to the Raging Buffalo Snowboard Park and Wakeboard School, home to a terrain park exclusively for snowboarders.
Visitors can easily reach downtown Chicago—home to the Museum Campus, several skyscrapers, and the theatre district—but there's plenty to do in the cities surrounding Algonquin. Nearby Elgin's Grand Victoria Casino has more than 1,000 slot machines and high limit table games. A half-hour side trip from Algonquin finds you at Schaumburg's Woodfield Mall, home to Lord and Taylor, Armani Exchange, The Cheesecake Factory, and Rainforest Cafe.