Hotel at a Glance: Lajitas Golf Resort & Spa
The private estate at Lajitas is its own kind of Camelot: sprawled across 27,000 acres, the property has space for horseback riding, golfing, and skeet shooting. You can even get pampered at a holistic spa. If you choose to leave the kingdom, Big Bend National Park is right around the corner—more than 750,000 acres of Chihuahuan desert with mountain peaks and parts of the Rio Grande River.
- Giddy up! Ride horseback along the hill-studded banks of Comanche Creek, right near the Mexican border.
- Championship 18-hole golf course designed by Lanny Wadkins; the par-72 course also features a 500-yard driving range and mountain views
- Eat your heart out: Candelilla Cafe, one of the onsite restaurants, serves authentic Southwestern fare infused with fresh herbs and veggies; Star Gazer Mesa, another restaurant, serves hearty meals prepared over an open fire to guests seated atop tree stumps.
- Agave Spa offers aromatherapy body wraps and rejuvenating facials infused with papaya and pineapple.
- Cool off in one of several outdoor pools.
Lajitas, Texas: Old-West Town Near Big Bend National Park
At close to a million acres, Big Bend National Park itself is big enough to contain the entire state of Rhode Island. The park commands most of southwest Texas and is cut through by the Rio Grande River. Visitors can hike along 150 miles of trails—keep your eyes peeled for native birds—or visit after twilight to see the limitless stars overhead.
Lajitas makes its home near the edge of this popular natural attraction. The town derives its name from the Spanish phrase that means “little flat rocks,” a name inspired by the rocky landscape. The town is every bit Wild West; in fact, for many years, its unofficial mayor was, no joke, a drunken goat named Clay Henry III. Compared to the cowboy days, downtown is relatively quiet. A handful of buildings lets the landscape take center stage, situated more than 2,000 feet above the Rio Grande. The space is so wide open and the sky so crystal clear that stargazing is understandably one of the most popular pastimes here.
77% of 13 customers recommend
“nice accommodations, beautiful golf course, quiet family setting”
“The people everyone was so nice and friendly”
“The golf course was amazing! ”
400 HC 70
Lajitas, TX 79852