Hotel At a Glance: Lighthouse Inn
Lighthouse Inn—located a few steps from Oregon's Cannon Beach—has just eight one-bedroom suites. The charming inn is tucked among trees, giving the place a far-flung, intimate feel. Guests can enjoy a nice walk along the sandy beach or in downtown, a popular resort area.
- Cannon Beach is only one block away— admire the view of iconic Haystack Rock, a 235-foot-high sea stack.
- Walk to everything: The shops, restaurants, and galleries of downtown Cannon Beach are a five-minute walk away, and the entrance to Haystack Rock is two blocks away.
- Home-like suites: Each one-bedroom suite has a kitchenette, a master bedroom, and a separate dining area, all adorned with warm, beach tones.
- Complimentary breakfast buffet is served daily in the art gallery of the inn's sister property, the Inn at Cannon Beach, about a mile down the road. Bagels, waffles, yogurt, fruit, and other items are included.
- Hot tip: Every 20 minutes, the Cannon Beach shuttle stops 1.5 blocks away from the inn; it takes visitors to downtown and back again.
Cannon Beach, Oregon: Haystack Rock, The Goonies, and a Walkable Downtown
Cannon Beach is tucked away about a 90-minute drive from Portland, but it's no stranger to the spotlight. It's been featured in the films The Goonies and Twilight, and the area manages to attract visitors year-round, who come to check out its festivals and three state parks.
The main attraction of Cannon Beach is Haystack Rock, a giant basalt rock jutting from the Pacific coast. At low tide, you can walk to the rock. Sightseers come to check out the nesting seabirds, such as puffins and terns, and picnic near the tide pools, which are lined with starfish and crabs. Aside from Haystack Rock, it's worth it to hike the trails and surf at Ecola State Park, which encompasses nine miles of coastline and a Sitka spruce forest.
Chain stores are banned within the city limits of Cannon Beach, which lends a quaint Main-Street air to its downtown area. You can easily walk to a gourmet coffee roasting studio, a cooking school, galleries, wine bars, and surf shops.