Hotel at a Glance: Mountain Road Resort
True to its name, the Mountain Road Resort sits on the winding lane that leads up to Stowe Mountain Resort, one of the Northeast's most-celebrated skiing destinations. Choose the 2-night option to get two lift tickets at Stowe with your stay. Guests can also scope out the resort's extensive art collection, or visit Harvest Market next door to sample artisan baked goods and locally produced cheeses.
- Driving time to Stowe Mountain Resort: 10 minutes
- Après-ski: Wind down in the lobby bar
- In-room amenities: Guest rooms come with 32" flat-screen TVs, park views, refrigerator, and free WiFi. Deluxe rooms are roomier and include a wet bar.
- Snowshoe Vermont: You can snowshoe right off the property on to a Vermont Association of Snow Travelers (VAST) trail
- Take a dip: In the indoor pool and hot tub
- Afternoon treats: Fresh baked goods served with Vermont apple cider and tea
Stowe, Vermont: Mountain Village Flush with Outdoor Adventure
The quaint town of Stowe is nestled in the northern Vermont's quiet countryside. State law bans billboards, ensuring unobstructed views of the sugar maples and hemlock covering the Green Mountains along the roadways. In winter, Stowe roars to life when visitors descend upon the slopes at Stowe Mountain Resort, which is home to 116 skiing trails that span nearly 500 acres. The resort's state-of-the-art snowmaking technology allows for an extended ski season.
For a tasty change of pace, head about 12 miles south to the town of Waterbury, which is home to a Ben & Jerry's ice-cream factory. Visitors can watch as machinery zips pints from one end of the facility to the other during a factory tour, which ends with a sampling of the flavor of the day.