Hotel at a Glance: All-Inclusive Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla is a grownups’ retreat. This adults-only all-inclusive resort has incredible details at every turn, from swim-up suites, private terraces, and enormous pools facing the Caribbean Sea to themed restaurants and bars. There’s live music every evening, as well as a host of activities.
- Private bay: You’ll have access to the resort’s exclusive bay, spotless sugar-sand beaches, and lush mangrove coastline.
- 11 restaurants and 10 bars ranging from breakfast buffets and spicy Latin fusion to pan-Asian fare and a tequila bar
- Relax at YHI Spa, a 20,000-square-foot full-service spa and fitness center.
- Stay and splash into pools surrounded by palapa huts, or go snorkeling in the sea.
- Try something new: Activities include tequila-tasting classes, environmental classes, dance lessons, and marina watersports.
Playa del Carmen, Mexico: Trendy Beach Area and Diving Destination
Just across the sea from the island of Cozumel, Playa del Carmen has been called “the hippest city in all of the Yucatán Peninsula” by Lonely Planet. The laid-back beach bars and cafés have a way of converting vacationers into expats, but Playa’s most compelling draw might be its cenotes—cavernous sinkholes filled with turquoise pools. The water in the cenotes is crystal clear, particularly at the lily-pad-dotted Xlacah cenote, where you can snorkel among schools of colorful fish.
To the south, you’ll find preserved ruins of pre-Columbian cities. Tulum’s crumbling temples are situated above a dramatic ocean bluff, and Coba’s enormous pyramid rises between two lagoons. For a fun day trip, hop aboard the ferry to Cozumel, which docks at the pier east of Calle 1. There are about a dozen dive shops on Cozumel, and they offer trips offshore to the reefs that Jacques Cousteau declared some of the world’s most beautiful.