Top Five Reasons to Stay at Posada Mariposa
- The hotel is located on Playa del Carmen’s famous 5th Avenue (also called La Quinta Avenida), where pedestrians walk past hundreds of shops, upscale restaurants, and popular bars.
- Playa del Carmen’s beach along the Caribbean Sea is less than two blocks away.
- Posada Mariposa offers Italian-style villas in the midst of Playa del Carmen, with white stucco, clay tiles, and a lush tropical garden courtyard.
- Each of the hotel’s guest rooms features hardwood furniture, a patio, an LCD TV, high-speed WiFi, and air conditioning.
- The hotel is a few steps away from the pool and sands of Mamita’s Beach Club, where Posada Mariposa guests get free entry and half off beach beds and umbrellas.
Playa del Carmen, Mexico: Trendy Beach Area and Diving Destination
Just across the sea from the island of Cozumel, Playa del Carmen has been called "the hippest city in all of the Yucatán Peninsula" by Lonely Planet. The laid-back beach bars and cafés have a way of converting vacationers into expats, but Playa del Carmen's most compelling draw might be its cenotes—cavernous sinkholes filled with turquoise pools. The water in the cenotes is crystal clear, particularly at the lily-pad-dotted Xlacah cenote, where you can snorkel among schools of colorful fish.
To the south lie the preserved ruins of pre-Columbian cities. One easy day trip is to visit the crumbling Mayan temples at Tulum, which are situated above a dramatic ocean bluff, then head over to the enormous pyramid at Coba, which rises between two lagoons. Another option is to hop aboard the ferry to the island of Cozumel—the boat docks about 2 miles from the hotel at the pier east of Calle 1. There are about a dozen dive shops on Cozumel, and they offer trips to the nearby reefs that Jacques Cousteau declared some of the world's most beautiful.
Read the Fine Print for important info on travel dates and other restrictions.