Hotel at a Glance: Showboat Atlantic City
Showboat Atlantic City's sky-high edifice overlooks the Atlantic Ocean from one of the most famous boardwalks in the world. The hotel's decor pays tribute to another epicenter of American nightlife—New Orleans—while providing all the makings of a high-rolling Atlantic City vacation.
- Cha-ching: The hotel's casino boasts more than 2,600 slot machines and table games.
- House of Blues: The onsite music venue brings in international talent. Upcoming performances include Passion Pit (Nov. 1) and Lynyrd Skynyrd (Nov. 8).
- After dark: A slew of bars and clubs are located throughout the property.
- Pamper yourself: The full-service spa offers nourishing massages and beauty treatments.
- Dine nearby: With this getaway, you'll get a three-course dinner for two at one of the onsite restaurants.
Atlantic City, New Jersey: Casinos and Carnival Rides Lining Historical Beachside Boardwalk
No trip to Atlantic City is complete without a stroll along its signature boardwalk, which stretches for 6 miles along New Jersey's eastern coast. Originally built in 1870 to keep sand out of hotel lobbies, the boardwalk grew in popularity as a place where you could drink and gamble during Prohibition without much trouble from the police, as depicted in HBO's Boardwalk Empire. The boardwalk is still popular for its casinos, but it's family-friendly, too; visitors are just as inclined to sit at the beach or stop at one of the many carnival rides.
On the boardwalk, it's worth it to check out the Absecon Lighthouse, which is more than 150 years old. It's possible to climb its 228 steps to the top, which features sweeping views of the city skyline and the sea. Down at the base, you'll find a replica of the original light keeper's lonely cloister and the collection of sock puppets he created to keep him company.
Proving further that Atlantic City isn't all nightclubs, boardwalk, and casinos is Gardner's Basin, a maritime village along the bay. Here, a community of artisans uses seashells and driftwood to hand-make items such as wind chimes and picture frames. However, the Basin's biggest claim to fame is the 25,000-gallon Atlantic City Aquarium swimming with turtles and rays.
“It was a great deal for the price. The room was nice and clean. ”
“Every person we dealt with during our stay was helpful and positive. We had a great time!”
“Free parking. ”
Showboat Atlantic City
Atlantic City, NJ 08401